No announcement yet.

AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is hard to buy legacy called Nvidia hardware (something that does not work with 185.xx), but there are LOTS of laptops and other systems out there which are still sold as new. Why on earth do you call it legacy?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      It is hard to buy legacy called Nvidia hardware (something that does not work with 185.xx), but there are LOTS of laptops and other systems out there which are still sold as new. Why on earth do you call it legacy?
      That's a good question. Products stay in the channel for years; last time I was in a big US box store (in late 2008) I saw Rage 128 and RageXL cards being sold as new, along with similarly old products from most of our competitors. In fairness, I'm sure that they were "new" in the sense of "not used", but "new" like "free" can have multiple meanings.

In general the word "legacy" is used to indicate how the product is being treated, ie the consequence of a vendor decision, rather than being a definition which products fall into over time. There isn't really a sharp cut-off where products disappear from the market and become "legacy", unfortunately, they just gradually fade away over perhaps 10 years.

Put simply, products become "legacy" when the vendors say they are legacy. I know that's not a wholly satisfying answer, but it's the best one I have found. Since no vendor can control how long their products stay in the marketplace, we all try to adopt an EOL strategy which steps down the level of support over time rather than cutting it off sharply. In this case we are moving the support focus from the fglrx driver to the open source drivers, but continuing to contribute resources to the support effort.
      Last edited by bridgman; 11 May 2009, 05:51 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

• Well, Now I cry for real.

The opensource drivers can't even play a video.
        The catalyst drivers crash Archlinux and Ubuntu.
        All I get is a black screen.

I will pay someone to help me. How about $30+$10hr to sucessfuly help me get the catalyst driver to work.
        I can put it in your paypall account.

Edit: Ok well I can wach video's with what ever driver Ubuntu used by default.. I think the opensource one. Not the end of the world like I thought.... I'll still pay to play games though.
        Last edited by hunterthomson; 16 May 2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• I guess buying a new Nvidia card is cheaper

For U you can try this

wget -N http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh
          sudo -i
          rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
          dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

then press ctrl-alt-f1, login as normal user, then:

sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh

In several cases fglrx drivers lockup the system, in that case you can hack your system like:

for x in kdm gdm xdm wdm; do
          if [ -x /etc/init.d/$x ]; then
          sudo update-rc.d -f $x remove
          sudo update-rc.d $x start 99 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 4 6 .
          fi
          done

then you can boot with 2 or 3 or 4 as extra option and then the system does not start X. There is another option for Ubuntu usually, but that will disable the startup of X inside gdm, that means if you want to start X then you would have to modify /etc/init.d/gdm - take a look if you want. After that run the mentioned script from above, thats the cleanest way to install fglrx.
          Last edited by Kano; 16 May 2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• Just to clean up. I got it working. I found a guy that had the same laptop and he gave me his xorg.conf. He also knew how to fix the problem. All I had to do was>>>

sudo aticonfig --acpi-services=off

I even got it to work in Archlinux
            I realy don't like Ubuntu.... It is so easy it is a pain in the ***.

I must say now that I have tried the open source drivers. WOW they suck! glxgears was getting 350FPS, My intel x3100 gets 680GPS. They are not even useable yet. Vesa is almost better. I can't believe ATI can say. "Well they can just use the open source drivers. Sure they don't support all the new suff but they still work."

With that said, when the Open Source drivers are useable. I would take a small performance hit just to say I use no proprietary drivers.
            Last edited by hunterthomson; 17 May 2009, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hunterthomson View Post
              glxgears was getting 350FPS, My intel x3100 gets 680GPS. They are not even useable yet. Vesa is almost better.

Comment

• I really wish everytime someone tried to use glxgears as a benchmark they would get an electric shock.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  I really wish everytime someone tried to use glxgears as a benchmark they would get an electric shock.
                  Ya i know I was thinking I sould put a disclamer in there.
                  I am also see why it is bad. I am now finding this dirver is still not working all that well. I guess I just need to set up my xorg.conf better or something. It frezes for like 4-5 secs when I change desktop or open a new window like firefox or terminator. But nexuiz is getting 200FPS too. So, I guess a few more days and maybe it will work right. Anyway, come on if it only get's 300FPS in glxgears it dose show how crappy they are....

Comment

• If anybody feels like committing back into glxgears the -iacknowledgethatthistoolisnotabenchmark switch you do so with my blessing.

Comment

• OK fine fine. forget the glxgears They are stupid.

but realy in Ubuntu like i said I could wach movies. That is good enugh I guess. There is realy no need to do any benchmarking the opensoruce drivers can't do anything. Playing video is it's max and you need to do some tweeking just to do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X