Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wonderful chair up and nice post here

Thanks and nice to meet you

Last edited by Rubicashrama; 19 May 2009, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by logic View Post
      There wasn't a problem with the 32-bit version of Flash; run natively under a 32-bit browser, it works fine.

The problem is fundamentally one of running any 32-bit plugin under nspluginwrapper and a 64-bit browser. So, nspluginwrapper is the underlying problem, but flash is one of those few remaining plugins that required it, until they released a 64-bit native build.
      Yeah, I - as probably quite a few others - sent Adobe a message prior to their announcement of wanting to make a 64-bit build in which I attempted to as diplomatically as possible explain the whole nspluginwrapper situation with 64bit Linuxes and why it's not ideal for Adobe (if nspluginwrapper has a bug, people complain about Adobe's Flash still and other such stuff which is bad for Adobe's brand; forgotten quite a bit of what I said). Maybe companies actually do listen and learn if they've given good enough reasons economic-wise? :3
      (Or then they just fed up with the nagging)

Comment

The Flash plugin for 64 bit has the same codebase as the 32 bit version, just the opengl accelleration feature is missing (reports exactly the same version). Therefore it is a bit slow with hd content - even with nvidia or fglrx driver. Best performance you get with 32 bit with binary 3d driver and activated vsync for opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          The Flash plugin for 64 bit has the same codebase as the 32 bit version, just the opengl accelleration feature is missing (reports exactly the same version). Therefore it is a bit slow with hd content - even with nvidia or fglrx driver. Best performance you get with 32 bit with binary 3d driver and activated vsync for opengl.
          Interesting, I wasn't actually aware of all of that. 'Course, even had I been when it came out, I still wouldn't have hesitated. You simply cannot beat orders of magnitude when it comes to improving browser stability.

Comment

browser crashes is something that i do not worry about anymore, just happens too ofter. There is a crash recover feature that works at least

Comment

browser crashes is something that i do not worry about anymore, just happens too ofter. There is a crash recover feature that works at least
              having to reload you halfstreamed episode of whatever is kinda frustrating

Comment

Well the bigger problem is that the nspluginwrapped Flash tended to actually crash my sound entirely. I'm not sure on specifics, but I ended up reloading my sound module frequently.

And restoring 60+ tabs can be time-consuming.

Comment

Nobody needs to use pluginwrapper, remove that. You can use java and flash natively for 64 bit. I don't get why you still talk about that outdated wrapper.

Comment

Nobody needs to use pluginwrapper, remove that. You can use java and flash natively for 64 bit. I don't get why you still talk about that outdated wrapper.
                    Huh? I believe we've had a miscommunication. I haven't used the wrapper since the day the 64-bit builds first went public. I was saying that, even had I known that the 64-bit builds don't have GPU acceleration, I wouldn't have hesitated to switch to them. The stability of both my browser and my sound drivers, while not perfect, really is hundreds of times better with the natively 64-bit Flash plugin. It did cause me many problems in the past, but not so many now.

Comment

I still use the wrapper for the Acrobat Reader plugin

Comment

Working...
                      X