Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD Driver Takes A Blow In Novell Layoffs

Phoronix: RadeonHD Driver Takes A Blow In Novell Layoffs

Due to the tough economic conditions around the world, Novell last month began slashing some of their workforce. With that reduction, a good percentage of the paid OpenSuSE developers were laid off...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, it's sad to see such a prominent developer leave the community. I would hope that he would choose to continue his work, at least on the development side.

Otherwise I think this is just one more example of where RadeonHD went wrong. To rely on a single corporation is just suicidal. Especially when that single corporation is out to get you. I knew from the beginning RadeonHD was doomed. It relied exclusively on Novell. And it is a fact that Novell is out to screw the open source community.

Hopefully we can all use this as an excuse to --FINALLY-- consolidate the development of an ATi X driver onto one project. Instead of having one driver that's good with this thing, and another that is good with that thing. Lets get it all consolidated into one project that is good with all things....

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Well, it's sad to see such a prominent developer leave the community. I would hope that he would choose to continue his work, at least on the development side.
      From what he has said to me, don't count on it. Unless he ends up working for another major corporation as an X developer.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I hope he continues his work on the proper Radeon driver.

Due to limited access now to ATI hardware, it's unlikely that we will see any future work from him in the RadeonHD driver.
        We can always donate ATI hardware and/or cash if he needs it
        Last edited by tuxdriver; 02 March 2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

From what he has said to me, don't count on it. Unless he ends up working for another major corporation as an X developer.
          even nowadays, such an experienced developer should not have big trouble finding a new job.

some company is bound to hire him sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            even nowadays, such an experienced developer should not have big trouble finding a new job.

Yes, especially given his relative fame.

Comment

Didn't see X.Org development mentioned explicitly, but since Canonical has the Bryce guy who's involved, maybe they'd be interested: http://webapps.ubuntu.com/employment/

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

He won't have much trouble finding a new job, but it's highly unlikely it will be one where he's paid to develop an open-source Linux driver for ATI chipsets

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple or nv snaps him up. Of course ATI/AMD should be the first to grab him.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Wouldn't surprise me if Apple or nv snaps him up. Of course ATI/AMD should be the first to grab him.
                    Or Red Hat

Comment

Working...
                    X