Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using fglrx AND radeonHD ?

Hi there,

I have a dilema : I must use the fglrx for playing UT2K4 and some other OpenGL games, AND, while I enjoy playing games, I also would enjoy to rotate my 24 LCD screen for surfing over the internet.

So far, according to what I've googled, fglrx doesn't support screen rotation and RadeonHD doesn't implement 3D acceleration yet.

So, here's the question : is it possible to launch a primary X instance using the radeon HD driver, and, when I want to game, launching anoter X session, but using fglrx instead ??

Has anyone an idea on how to do that ?

I'm going to let one picture answer your question

Comment

Many thanks !
      I'll just have to wait that the latest fglrx become stable on Gentoo.

thanks for your screenshot

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        Many thanks !
        I'll just have to wait that the latest fglrx become stable on Gentoo.

thanks for your screenshot
        I don't think this will happen any time soon. Packages that have too many bugs open don't become stable, and fglrx has so many bugs, people just stop counting.

Your only option to keyword it and install it.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I don't think this will happen any time soon. Packages that have too many bugs open don't become stable, and fglrx has so many bugs, people just stop counting.

Your only option to keyword it and install it.
          You're right, and I'm already in ~amd64 for the fglrx.
          The thing is that the newer fglrx are calling xorg-server>=1.5 and the xorg-server>=1.5 are all ~amd64.
          I tried to ~amd64 the xorg-server package, just to see what would happen in doing a emerge --pretend, and there was so much ~ packages that I didn't go further.
          Now, I'm just waiting behind gentoo-portage.com that the xorg-server package becomes marked as stable...

Comment

The plan is for 1.5 to get stabilized soon. See http://blogs.gentoo.org/remi/2009/02...org-server-1-5

You will find instructions if you follow the links.

Comment

Huge thanks for that link.
              I'd just wish to have had this information directly from Gentoo.
              I'm just an end-user and, in Gentoo, I find it very hard to get simple information in a simple way (the website) on the status of the distro.
              So, I feel very often being in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                Huge thanks for that link.
                I'd just wish to have had this information directly from Gentoo.
                I'm just an end-user and, in Gentoo, I find it very hard to get simple information in a simple way (the website) on the status of the distro.
                So, I feel very often being in the dark.
                Subscribe to the RSS feed of Planet Gentoo (http://planet.gentoo.org/). You'll never be in the dark again

Comment

Many thanks !

Comment

Working...
                  X