Linux demo, what games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux demo, what games?

Next april we have an event: FLISOL. It is the Latinoamerican Festival of Free Software Installation. Im planning to move my PC there to show Linux perfomance with games and I would like to hear some recommendations about what games should I show. I was thinking about some free ones and also a couple of commercial demos. What free game do you think looks better (better models, use of shaders, etc)? What commercial demos do you recommend?
    My hardware is Radeon HD2600 xt, Celeron 2.8 Ghz and 750 Mb of RAM (Im expecting a donation of 2Gb DDR2 and a Core Duo CPU, but cant be sure if I will have them for april)

Well on the commercial side of things your most demanding game your going to find that looks reasonably modern is Enemy Territory Quake Wars or Quake 4. If you want to have a commercial game that is not a FPS, still the best looking option out there for linux is still Neverwinter Nights. World of Goo for a addictive time killer game.

On the opensource side, best looking IMHO is World of Padman and Alien Arena for FPS. For something other then a FPS then the best looking out there at the moment would have to be Beyond the Red Line demo (at least until Diaspora is released). Other then that everything else out there in linux land looks too dated to "show off".

*edit* Seeing that you have a ATI card you might want to do some research for possible issues trying to run some of these games. Games like Enemy Territory have given ATI cards hissy fits in the past. Not sure what their state is now.
    Last edited by deanjo; 02 March 2009, 09:39 AM.

Comment

You could use the Unigine Engine demos to show off some amazing graphics using OpenGL. The Tropics demo alone is enough to rival Crysis.

Real-time 3D engine / VR platform for Simulation & Training, 3D Digital Twins, CAD, BIM, GIS. 3D graphics and physics library for ะก++ and C# developers.

You could also go for Yo Frankie! (formerly the Apricot project). It's free and open source and you can get it at the official web site.

Comment

Originally posted by azraelthe7th View Post
        You could use the Unigine Engine demos to show off some amazing graphics using OpenGL. The Tropics demo alone is enough to rival Crysis.

Real-time 3D engine / VR platform for Simulation & Training, 3D Digital Twins, CAD, BIM, GIS. 3D graphics and physics library for ะก++ and C# developers.

You could also go for Yo Frankie! (formerly the Apricot project). It's free and open source and you can get it at the official web site.

http://www.yofrankie.org/
        Yo Frankie is buggy as heck, not really a great choice to show off. Also with his current system uningine demo's would crawl unless running at very low resolutions (I'd also say the demo graphics wise is more akin to the original Farcry then Crysis.).

Comment

Another good looking game wich is free but not gpl is Savage2: A Tortured Soul. www.s2games.com

Comment

I think Sauerbraten ( www.sauerbraten.org ) is also quite nice to show. Exspecially with the current SVN version which includes rag-doll physics and a much nicer looking playermodel.

Comment

Commercial demos you'd want to demo, Doom 3 (which is pretty much an older Quake 4 release) as well as Penumbra games. Those games look fairly impressive too.

Comment

The shadowgrounds games could be a good choice too, when they are actually released.

Comment

you dont want to show off quakewars on that graphics card. dont bother.

Comment

Originally posted by questioneer View Post
                    you dont want to show off quakewars on that graphics card. dont bother.
                    Maybe someone can send in a divx from a well running quakewar

by the way, Yo Frankie is not completly stable but still a nice game to have or show.
                    Last edited by tmpdir; 04 March 2009, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X