• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spectacular would be a fglrx binary driver that works as expected

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      spectacular would be a fglrx binary driver that works as expected
      Who knows.. you might find someone that bets on such things.. i'd say you should get about the same odds as that bet about elvis falling down on the empire state building..

Comment

So, if Mark Shuttleworth sneezes, Phoronix does an article on Ubuntu. For Arch to get an article, they need to do something controversial like treating Catalyst like a second-class citizen?

Anyways, I can't say that I blame them. I haven't used Catalyst in over a year (wait, no. I haven't use Catalyst period. I haven't used the fglrx kernel module in over a year), but I remember quite vividly jumping through hoops and/or waiting a couple months and/or downgrading distributions to get it to work. If the situation hasn't changed (regardless of whatever work they've been doing), then I can't blame the Arch dev's for not wanting to deal with it.

Comment

At current stage, I don't care much about 3d performance. So the moment radeonhd has working powerplay, I'm switching.

Arch64+fglrx, compositing SLOW

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
            So, if Mark Shuttleworth sneezes, Phoronix does an article on Ubuntu. For Arch to get an article, they need to do something controversial like treating Catalyst like a second-class citizen?
            Last I checked, Ubuntu had over 2000 hits per days on Distrowatch. Arch Linux is apparently barely at 600, that's the difference for you.

Comment

Ubuntu is "Linux for human beings", Arch is "Linux for computers and people who aren't afraid of them". Having said that, I use Ubuntu because I'm a long-time Debian/dpkg fan and I haven't had a reason to install a new OS on my computer since I first loaded up Ubuntu

Comment

I don't get whats so great with Ubuntu. The kernel is good, I help em personally to support some specific kinds of hardware better in case something is broken because I reuse the kernel for my own distro. But besides the kernel there is not much difference when you would compare Debian 5.0 default GNOME install with Ubuntu 8.10. GNOME looks as ugly as usual on both. Ok, I prefer KDE 3.5 series, fast, no problems compared to new KDE 4 series with some gfx drivers. From points of support U always loses against pure Debian. Their main repository is really small, maybe 1000 vs 23000 packages in the rest. And full support you get only for the main one. Even if Debian would fix security issues with other packages (outside main) they do not get into Ubuntu, maybe some with universe security updates.

Comment

Ubuntu is great for keeping the "z0mg it doesn't work 1 d3mand y00 fixor it NOW or else" crowd out of Debian

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                    Last I checked, Ubuntu had over 2000 hits per days on Distrowatch. Arch Linux is apparently barely at 600, that's the difference for you.
                    If articles and reporting are done purely on popularity then there should be far more articles done on openSUSE then Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Ubuntu is great for keeping the "z0mg it doesn't work 1 d3mand y00 fixor it NOW or else" crowd out of Debian
                      Yes, great picture But many advanced Linux users are using Kubuntu too of course.

@Kano

Is Debian such noobie resistant as Ubuntu is? :> In my opinion some trivial simplifications make a lot of difference in this case. Btw. the worst thing in Ubuntu is they chose gnome as primary desktop environment. There was a time when KDE4 wasn't stable, but now it is. It's great time to change IMHO.

@deanjo

It works this way - more clicks on distro title = it's more popular on distrowatch

Comment

Working...
                      X