Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Linux Graphics Driver Bugs Do You Hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you really think the driver is different when you use Ubuntu instead of Debian packageing option? Just a little hint: the result will be the SAME. As the package names are different you just have to completely uninstall the other packages before. Ubuntu packageing needs dkms which is not in Debian by default. No big deal, because that package is for all archs and can be easyly fetched from Ubuntu:

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
      The 180.xx drivers were a lot faster with KDE4 than the 177s and earlier versions, but it was still a pretty slow experience trying to use KDE4 with my 8600GT. I'm sure KDE4(and/or its dependencies) is partly to blame, but Nvidia's blob surely is also. One eight oh - STILL TOO SLOW. Ultimately, the slight performance increase was not enough to offset the bugs in the 180.xx series - loved that flashing red checkerboard on top of every non-fullscreen video I played. Oh and broken suspend too, that was so awesome.

So I'm back to KDE3 (again, not 100% thanks to Nvidia - but still, in good part), 177.82, and the same old never-gonna-get-fixed, totally-absent-for-no-good-reason TV out overscan control. If that had been fixed in 180.xx I would have put up with the other bugs. It's definitely the bug I hate the most, only it's not a bug so much as it was a decision some fucker at Nvidia made. The new Windows release doesn't need that anymore - so fuck the users of every other OS in existence right?

Does fglrx support running multiple X servers yet? Totally despise that one too.

In summary then, what I hate most is having Windows paradigms forced upon me. I shouldn't be forced to choose between Big Desktop and whatever other mode they offer when X.org offers the ability to run more than one Xserver. The fact that Vista doesn't need overscan controls shouldn't mean that users of every other fucking OS (other Windows versions too!) get the shaft.

There's 10s of millions of Linux users! Isn't that enough to get some fucking respect already?? Sadly I know the answer, and it's no.
      actually, the blame is practically solely on drivers..

while 180.xx does make 2d for KDE4 almost good, its still far from even aproaching the speed of software rendering..

I tried to install a VM with KDE 4.2, and to my (not really so great) surprise, with KVM + debian + X with vesa driver + KDE 4.2, it was 100% smooth, something which nvidia cannot do even on their most highend card, and this was simple software rendering..

Comment

Nvidia 7600 - Nvidia Driver works beautifully, couldnt ask for a better driver

ATi HD4870 - ATi driver doesnt work for shit. Doesnt even load. Just get a blank screen and the system is frozen. Worst driver in the world, but then again, you all knew that.

Comment

intel driver severe screen corruption with compiz and blur plugin

I like to have the `blur? plugin in compiz enabled for translucent terminal windows. This gaussian blur makes text in the terminal much more readable than without because it makes it so much easier to tell foreground text from background text.

However, on my Eeepc 1000H it results in immediate screen corruption or even total lockup. This laptop has a gma 945 chipset I think. I think Michael Larabel has a 1000H too, am I right? He sure does a lot of testing on it.

Anyway, blur results in screen corruption and even locking up X in the Intel driver. It took me a little while to figure out which of the many compiz I had enabled was causing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
            Nvidia 7600 - Nvidia Driver works beautifully, couldnt ask for a better driver

ATi HD4870 - ATi driver doesnt work for shit. Doesnt even load. Just get a blank screen and the system is frozen. Worst driver in the world, but then again, you all knew that.
            nope. don't know that. I do know that a 4650 of mine perked right up with the 9.2 drivers, and I do know that a 7900 GT of mine required running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg every single time after installing the nvidia driver to set the correct resolution and refresh rate (although Debian has for some bone-headed reason removed one of the best tools ever created from Lenny)

Comment

The refreshrate options are not used by default, only screen res. Nvidia uses by default EDID infos from monitor.

Comment

No big errors with nvidia driver

Hello,

I have 4 machines with opensuse 11.1 installed (2.6.27.19 and KDE 4.2).
                MSI Wind (intel GME 450): Pretty good performance for that type of computer. Compositing works awesome. But if I shut it down, the vt switch doesn't work and I see only fullscreen graphic corruption.
                While system runs I can switch vts, the problem only appears if I shut it down.

Acer Extensa Notebook (intel GMA): Good performance too. I had very bad opengl system lockups but after a driver update they were gone.

MSI X48C (Nvdia GF 8800GTS with 180.35): No problems at all. GL, Compositing, VT switching. No lockups or something like this. Window resizing is slow. If I logout and relogin GTK apps won't work and I have to reboot. But I don't know if this is an error of nvidia.

Abit P45 (GF 9600 with 180.35): No problems. I had lockups on video playback and Xid errors but there gone.

So overall I'm quite happy with linux graphix at the moment. The qt4.5 dependency from opensuse are making plasma ugly on my intel notebooks. On my nvidia PCs nearly all looks fine under qt4.5.
                But thats opensuses fault...

Comment

ACPI sleep bugs suck with my Linux lappy

My laptop has an ATI 200m card built in. And it seems that about every 3 months either a new driver will come out or a new kernel that breaks ACPI suspend or Hibernate. This holds true to the latest fglrx driver 9.2

sigh

oh and honorable mention goes to misc opengl extensions that are missing or broken (PBO)

Thanks

Comment

I own a GTX 260. As you might know, the card is really power-hungry and because of that, NVidia added two powersaving modes. Problem is: As soon as you configure it with two output-monitors, it won't ever enter any of the powersaving modes.
                    NVidia is aware, promises a solution "some time in the future".
                    Last edited by Troggy; 01 March 2009, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                      actually, the blame is practically solely on drivers..

while 180.xx does make 2d for KDE4 almost good, its still far from even aproaching the speed of software rendering..

I tried to install a VM with KDE 4.2, and to my (not really so great) surprise, with KVM + debian + X with vesa driver + KDE 4.2, it was 100% smooth, something which nvidia cannot do even on their most highend card, and this was simple software rendering..
                      Yes, those performance problems aren't fixed for about one year! Nvidia really sucks like no one in this case.

Fglrx crashed X sometimes onmy PC, but nvidia blobs crashed entire system... No more nvidia for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X