Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for environmental testing

Howdy.
    I need to run some environmental tests on a laptop. The plan is to benchmark before, place it in various environmental conditions and then benchmark it after to see if the laptop has been damaged. GUI/OpenGL and game performance obviously isn't very important, but general system performance and computational power is. I'm leaning towards basic tests like:

fio
    hdparm-read
    iozone
    memory-bandwidth
    ramspeed

as well as some tests to test computation:

byte/scimark2 (what's the difference?)
    super-pi

In most cases, the test will then be repeated with the benchmarks running while in the environmental conditions (to produce load and see how much performance is actively effected). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or general suggestions... I'm new to the Phoronix Test Suite (and benchmarking in general).
    Thanks
    Last edited by gammell; 28 February 2009, 10:55 PM. Reason: typo/clarity

Hi gammel,

You might want to try out graphics-magick. That's a nice test.

BYTE and SciMark2 are different programs, but with similar tests.

Michael
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks Michael, do you have any suggestion for a short (ie in time) processor test? I want to be able to hit all the major components (cpu, memory, hard drive, etc) but would like to limit the amount of time it spends running them. Some of the environmental conditions are difficult to produce for an extended period of time.

Comment

For an "overall" test, perhaps encode-flac (or encode-mp3) or ffmpeg or another audio/video encoding test as it will incorporate multiple subsystems.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X