Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which will be around the longest: AM3 or LGA 1366?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which will be around the longest: AM3 or LGA 1366?

I don't know much about what's coming down the pipeline, so as far as
    you guys know (or think), which will be around the longest: AM3 or
    LGA 1366?

probably around the same. AMD have a pretty good track record of keeping socket compatibility. Intel less so, they have kept 775 for ages but cpu support has changed completely depending on chipset.

Comment

AM3

Thing is AM3 is backwards compatible with Socket AM2. You can use Socket AM3 processors in a Socket AM2 motherboard. AMD has already stated that the next socket, presumably AM4, will also be backwards compatible in the same way. You should be able to put a socket AM4 processor on a Socket AM3 motherboard.

AMD can do this because their memory controller is on the chip itself. Socket AM3 processors contain both a DDR2 memory controller for Socket AM2, but a DDR3 controller for Socket AM3.

You can't do this with most Intel chips because all of the consumer chips so far depend on an external memory controller.

Intel's memory controller also means you are heavily limited on processor upgrades. Case in point is my own Intel D975XBX motherboard. Despite it being a Socket 775 motherboard, the best processor I can put in is the dual core x6800 : http://processormatch.intel.com/COMP...rdname=d975xbx

I simply do not have the option of any quad-core processors, or even many of the Dual-core updates on Core 2, even with a new bios.

By comparison, most stock AM2 motherboards could run a Quad-Core phenom, if the vendor supplied a bios update.

Now, this is going to change. Intel is going to start releasing processors with the memory controller on chip. This will give Intel the ability to have full socket compatibility, and be able to offer forward compatible sockets.

Intel does not offer that... "yet"
      Last edited by Saist; 07 March 2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
        AM3

Thing is AM3 is backwards compatible with Socket AM2. You can use Socket AM3 processors in a Socket AM2 motherboard. AMD has already stated that the next socket, presumably AM4, will also be backwards compatible in the same way. You should be able to put a socket AM4 processor on a Socket AM3 motherboard.
        Close but not quite.

AM3 Processors are compatible with some AM2 Mothboards (very small list)
        AM3 Processors are compatible with AM2+ motherboards (BIOS update is needed)

AM2 and AM2+ Processors will NOT work on AM3 and newer motherboards.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Close but not quite.

AM3 Processors are compatible with some AM2 Mothboards (very small list)
          AM3 Processors are compatible with AM2+ motherboards (BIOS update is needed)

AM2 and AM2+ Processors will NOT work on AM3 and newer motherboards.
          That's basically what he said...

Ok some vendors may not do it, but I mean I think it's quite impressive they manage to do that with their architecture.

I guess you'll have to make sure you pick a premium, well supported motherboard.

I'm not all that sure it improves their sales, but it's definatly a plus feature!

Comment

Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
            That's basically what he said...

Ok some vendors may not do it, but I mean I think it's quite impressive they manage to do that with their architecture.

I guess you'll have to make sure you pick a premium, well supported motherboard.

I'm not all that sure it improves their sales, but it's definatly a plus feature!
            Not really

You can use Socket AM3 processors in a Socket AM2 motherboard
            The selection of AM2 boards that can handle a AM3 is very small. (Most of them being Nvidia 590 SLI boards) AM2 boards that can handle the AM3 procs are an exception to the rule rather then the norm.

With AM2+ boards the compatibility is almost guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Not really

The selection of AM2 boards that can handle a AM3 is very small. (Most of them being Nvidia 590 SLI boards) AM2 boards that can handle the AM3 procs are an exception to the rule rather then the norm.

With AM2+ boards the compatibility is almost guaranteed.
              You also miss the context.

By comparison, most stock AM2 motherboards could run a Quad-Core phenom, if the vendor supplied a bios update.
              You should be able to put a socket AM4 processor on a Socket AM3 motherboard.
              The implication is that it is possible. However, support is largely left up to the vendor.

Comment

No I didn't miss the context. It's not only the BIOS that is holding AM2 motherboards from running a AM3 chip. Many AM2 motherboards suffered from poor power stages that could not handle the higher current requirements that a AM3 chip has (most notably the early AMD chipset MB's in mATX form). This is why AMD is not certifying any AM2 motherboard for use with a AM3 processor.

Comment

Working...
                X