ETQW PTS 1.60 fps issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETQW PTS 1.60 fps issue

I notice in the PTS version 1.60 that ETQW seems to disable v-sysnc or the fps cap built into the game during the first test. But on the 2nd and 3rd test it either turns v-sync on or enables a fps cap of 60.

====================================
    ET: Quake Wars Demo (Run 1 of 3)

4938 frames in 65.3 seconds = 75.6 fps

ET: Quake Wars Demo (Run 2 of 3)

4938 frames in 83.4 seconds = 59.2 fps

ET: Quake Wars Demo (Run 3 of 3)

4938 frames in 83.1 seconds = 59.5 fps

####################################
    ET: Quake Wars Demo:
    1680 x 1050

75.6 Frames Per Second
    59.2 Frames Per Second
    59.5 Frames Per Second

Average: 64.76 Frames Per Second

Averaging three results and you end up with an incorrect value for average performance between the 3 tests.
    I have not checked the 1.8beta yet but I noticed this and didn't see any other posts off hand about the issue.

Just did some more testing. The Doom3 bench is also going to be off of a normal run. You will need to set the usecache option for the demo as each subsequent run after the first run will be higher frames than the first run as the first run will do the caching for the second and third run.
    Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Doom 3 (Run 1 of 3)

2148 frames rendered in 27.1 seconds = 79.3 fps

Doom 3 (Run 2 of 3)

2148 frames rendered in 26.7 seconds = 80.4 fps

Doom 3 (Run 3 of 3)

2148 frames rendered in 25.8 seconds = 83.4 fps

########################################
    Doom 3:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050 - Quality: Ultra

79.3 Frames Per Second
    80.4 Frames Per Second
    83.4 Frames Per Second

Average: 81.03 Frames Per Second
    ########################################

If you were to use the usecache from the get go on the timedemo you shouldn't have the gradual increase in frames per second. It will also produce closer frames to between each run instead of having a 4fps delta, wich I know isn't huge but just saying most runs with usecache = ~.5 fps variance.
    Last edited by MNKyDeth; 26 February 2009, 08:08 PM.

According to my tests, the first ETQW test is done in 640x480 (only the first time), so it explains better result. If you launch benchmark again, you should have same result for each test. And I did manage to get 83 fps with a 9800GTX.

For doom3, yes the first test always gives lower result (until reboot), but i've tested with usecache, no change. The solution is to ignore the first test.
    Last edited by RenZO; 02 March 2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

If I let ETQW-demo complete the three tests fully and then run the tests again on that specific demo it locks all three tests to a max of 60fps.

Granted on Doom3 once you have run the test any subsequent run of the test should be fine after the first one. But you reboot your machine and run the test again the first result will be low again. Using the usecache option on the first run would at least give a steady result even after a fresh reboot.

Comment

You think the demo locks fps, but what about your hardware? ETQW is often limited by CPU. Do you have same result with low resolution?

About Doom3, I've tried with usecache option (in doom3.xml), and it didn't help the first test. I just tried again 1 min ago, and the first result still was 10% lower.
        This option is good on the paper.

Comment

I can't run some benches right now to show it as I am at my office. But...

These next two results are different gpu's granted but the mhz difference is 1Ghz. They both score within 3-4 fps of each other?

My tests above have my cpu at my daily cpu speed. I am able to reach 3.6Ghz without issue and once I get home I can run all benches you desire for etqw-demo. If the game is locking the fps at 60 I guess I can understand that. I've even gone into the nvidia-settings and made sure there wasn't any v-sync enabled.

I just see results like this and wonder why it's locking the frames on my setup is all I guess.

or

Last edited by MNKyDeth; 02 March 2009, 05:46 PM.

Comment

The etqw-demo _IS_ fps locked to 60. My 9800GTX+ and Core i7 will do better than that, even at 1600x1200.
            If I do a timeNetdemo in the etqw game I get from one of my own recordings ~ 138 fps. Every-time the game is run you have to do in console: com_unlock_maxFPS = <desired max number> as it defaults to "60". com_unlock_FPS has to be set to "1".

Comment

Originally posted by RenZO View Post
              You think the demo locks fps, but what about your hardware? ETQW is often limited by CPU. Do you have same result with low resolution?

About Doom3, I've tried with usecache option (in doom3.xml), and it didn't help the first test. I just tried again 1 min ago, and the first result still was 10% lower.
              This option is good on the paper.
              It does FPS lock, fer shure.

Comment

Working...
              X