R600/700 EXA X-Video Code Merged To Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    What are the differences between Radeon and RadeonHD anyway? I hear they've got a different modesetting code, but that too is not the case anymore once KMS is supported by the free drivers I guess? Anything else?
    It's mostly the modesetting code that is different (in a number of ways), although there are some changes in other areas as well, eg Luc reworked the bottom end of the acceleration stack in radeonhd.

Even though KMS is pretty much here, it will still be a while before the need for user modesetting goes away since most of the enterprise distro users will be running pre-KMS kernels for a couple of years. I don't expect you'll see the first release of a KMS-enabled enterprise distro until some time in 2010, and realistically we need to keep user modesetting supported until a good chunk of the enterprise distro installed base is running with KMS-enabled kernel code.
    Test signature

Comment

Is the current plan to work on adding R600/R700 support to Mesa, or to jump straight to Gallium?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        It's mostly the modesetting code that is different (in a number of ways), although there are some changes in other areas as well, eg Luc reworked the bottom end of the acceleration stack in radeonhd.

Even though KMS is pretty much here, it will still be a while before the need for user modesetting goes away since most of the enterprise distro users will be running pre-KMS kernels for a couple of years. I don't expect you'll see the first release of a KMS-enabled enterprise distro until some time in 2010, and realistically we need to keep user modesetting supported until a good chunk of the enterprise distro installed base is running with KMS-enabled kernel code.
        long live gentoo <3

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
          Is the current plan to work on adding R600/R700 support to Mesa, or to jump straight to Gallium?
          We're going to add basic 6xx/7xx support using the "classic" mesa driver model first, in order to provide support for users running systems which don't have KMS/MM and DRI2. By "basic" support I mean roughly the same functionality we have with 5xx today.

Once that is running, we'll port the hw-specific code across to Mesa-on-Gallium3D and do most of the ongoing work there.
          Test signature

Comment

Do you know if there are plans to merge the r6xx/7xx EXA code back into Catalyst? I've here terrible performance with KDE4.2, and my XRender benchmark results go hand in hand with the user experience.

Comment

Waddaya know...TVtime works.

Comment

Now it's time to have a working, open-source 3D stack for the ATI Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 hardware.
                Patches welcome. :3

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  Do you know if there are plans to merge the r6xx/7xx EXA code back into Catalyst? I've here terrible performance with KDE4.2, and my XRender benchmark results go hand in hand with the user experience.
                  radeon/radeonhd is GPL code afaik so that shouldn't be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    It's mostly the modesetting code that is different
                    And the HDMI Audio bit, like Timo Jyrinki mentioned above, as far as I know?

For me that's really the only reason I'm using the radeonhd driver right now.

PS: "open source triangles"? What are those? Triangles where you are allowed to see and changes the vertices?
                    Last edited by quintesse; 27 February 2009, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Forgot that radeon has experimental tv-out support on r6xx, and also tear-free video playback on r5xx, which I think are not available on radeonhd. But radeonhd has the hdmi audio support. Those three probably summarize the user visible differences?

Of course the modesetting code differences mean that different driver might have different outcome on various cards, but that's actually quite neat to find possible problem areas in both drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X