Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Catalyst versions are unable to render textures

Hello everyone!

I've just started using OGRE, and whilst running OGRE demos, no textures are rendered.

With catalyst 9.1 and 9.2, textures gets messy also in XMoto game.

With radeon driver, all demos are rendered correctly, although it's very slow (1.5 FPS in some demos).

Can this be fixed with some settings in xorg.conf or do I have to wait for another catalyst release?

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I'm using ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 on Intrepid Ibex x64.

Here are screenshots:

Terrain demo with fglrx driver:

Terrain demo with radeon driver:

Fresnel demo with fglrx driver:

Fresnel demo with radeon driver (notice only 1.38 FPS ):

My xorg.conf is as follows:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	Option	    "TexturedVideo" "on"
    	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "on"
    	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I also tried with Ubuntu's default catalyst (8.10) - same thing again...

Comment

Are there any errors in ogre.log ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Are there any errors in ogre.log ?
          Yes, there are.

Here is the output of cat Ogre.log | grep error after running the Terrain demo.

Code:
          dodo@2nd-of-12:/opt/OGRE/ogre/Samples/Common/bin$ cat Ogre.log | grep error
          18:45:19: OGRE EXCEPTION(7:InternalErrorException): Unable to compile Cg program Ogre/ParticleGS/DisplayPS: CG ERROR : The compile returned an error.
          (323) : fatal error C9999: unexpected cast operation
          18:45:19: High-level program Ogre/ParticleGS/DisplayPS encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
          OGRE EXCEPTION(7:InternalErrorException): Unable to compile Cg program Ogre/ParticleGS/DisplayPS: CG ERROR : The compile returned an error.
          (323) : fatal error C9999: unexpected cast operation
          18:45:19: High-level program Ogre/GPTest/Swizzle_GP_GLSL encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
          18:45:19: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Named constants have not been initialised, perhaps a compile error. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition at OgreGpuProgram.cpp (line 1087)
          18:45:19: Compiler error: invalid parameters in GLSLSwizzle.material(15): setting of constant failed
          18:45:19: OGRE EXCEPTION(2:InvalidParametersException): Named constants have not been initialised, perhaps a compile error. in GpuProgramParameters::_findNamedConstantDefinition at OgreGpuProgram.cpp (line 1087)
          18:45:19: Compiler error: invalid parameters in GLSLSwizzle.material(16): setting of constant failed
          18:45:20: Compiler error: object unsupported by render system in ASMSwizzle.material(1)
          18:45:20: Compiler error: invalid parameters in Example.material(762): setting of constant failed
          Here is the full log (it's too big to fit into the forum post): http://www.box.net/shared/jdnyq722jt

Comment

Since I'm not the expert in OGRE (today morning I saw it for the first time and immediately downloaded it in order to learn it ), could these errors be a consequence of a bad build? I built the v1.6.1 OGRE from a source as explained here: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php...tu_.2F_Kubuntu

At first, I tried the deb from Ubuntu's repository, but it didn't contain any of the examples (or at least I couldn't find them ). If so, what extra build options are required in order to make OGRE render textures properly with fglrx?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

I ran across some similar errors on the OGRE forums. I think the Cg compile blew up because you're missing a Cg header somewhere -- not an install issue, just something you need to add if you want to use Cg.

Most of the other GLSL and HLSL shaders compiled OK - a couple of other GLSL shaders failed, just looking at them now.

EDIT -- looks like two shaders and one script (out of a hundred or so) failed to compile. The log gives just a high level description of what went wrong but doesn't show you the shader source code; a good next step might be to download GPU Shader Analyzer from amd.com, paste the failing shaders into the "input" window, and look at the results. Might be a driver bug, but usually it's just a case where different vendors let you get away with different "minor mistakes" in the shader code so a program might work OK on one vendor's hardware blows up on another vendor's hardware.

I'm assuming the SDK includes source code for the shaders ?
              Last edited by bridgman; 26 February 2009, 02:33 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Yeah! I think I've found a quick and dirty solution: all textures (in bezier and fresnel demos at least) are rendered fine if I run the demos under root (with sudo). Terrain demo gets the texture, but it's teared.

At first, I thought it might be a file permission problem, so I chowned the whole folder to me and gave myself the full permissions on all files, but it didn't fixed the problem.

Here are screenshots of running several demos as user and as root:

Bezier demo

as user:

as root:

Fresnel demo:

as user:

as root (notice bigger framerate as with radeon driver ):

But it isn't a perfect solution! Terrain and shadows demo doesn't work fine as root:

Terrain demo:

as user:

as root (similar behavior is found also in windows openGL catalyst driver as explained here: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtop...?f=4&t=40996):

Shadows demo:

as user:

as root:

Comment

OK, glad you're making progress anyways
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

OK, glad you're making progress anyways
                    So, any ideas on how to solve that? Is it an OGRE or fglrx bug?

Comment

Working...
                    X