Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Server 1.6.0 Has Been Released

Phoronix: X Server 1.6.0 Has Been Released

It's arriving about two months later than originally scheduled (and didn't arrive in 2008 like Intel wanted), but X Server 1.6 has been officially released this afternoon and it wasn't 212 days late like the infamous X Server 1.4.1 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woohoo! Hopefully support in fglrx will come in Catalyst 9.3, so we don't have another repeat of Ubuntu 8.10 and their h4x3d version of Catalyst 8.10

Comment

just imagine!
      compiz + random 3D application at the same time!

Comment

"The proprietary NVIDIA driver is compatible with X Server 1.6, while the proprietary Catalyst driver from AMD doesn't yet offer any support for this updated X Server."

I mean, why is NVIDIA always, always, always, always: ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
          just imagine!
          compiz + random 3D application at the same time!
          + videoplayback! ... don't be ridiculous ...

Comment

Originally posted by falloutboy View Post
            + videoplayback! ... don't be ridiculous ...
            Well, you can use gl output now (thanks to dri2)

This was earlier than I expected

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
              "The proprietary NVIDIA driver is compatible with X Server 1.6, while the proprietary Catalyst driver from AMD doesn't yet offer any support for this updated X Server."

because they actually dont use most of the X Server infrastructure, but use their own instead. So to them it is not that a difference whether to replace xserver1.5 or xserver1.6 files.

Comment

Seen as it was just officially released, one can assume that fglrx will have official support by the 9.4 release. 9.3 would be nice, but I have my doubts.

Comment

That statement is largely false: the FOSS drivers are very well supported on 1.6., and generally closely trace its development.
                  Last edited by susikala; 25 February 2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

So will that mean that fglrx will support it now

Comment

Working...
                    X