AM3 motherboard for linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM3 motherboard for linux

Anyone know of any AMD based AM3 motherboards which are known to be compatible with linux? Some good deals going on with phenom II x3 cpus right now, so I'm itching to get one.

Originally posted by darkmatter14B View Post
    Anyone know of any AMD based AM3 motherboards which are known to be compatible with linux? Some good deals going on with phenom II x3 cpus right now, so I'm itching to get one.
    After some searching I found this review of GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128378

Pros: -Great board with lots of nice features
    -Chipset works out of the box with newer linux distros
    -Boots fine (at lower speeds) with OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM

So, Gigabyte here I come!!

Comment

After some searching I found this review of GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
      on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128378

Pros: -Great board with lots of nice features
      -Chipset works out of the box with newer linux distros
      -Boots fine (at lower speeds) with OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM

So, Gigabyte here I come!!
      I would wait at least until they have the DDR3 errata fixed. Right now running in dual channel is flakey at best. Besides DDR3 doesn't give much of a real world performance boost (any that would be readily apparent to the end user that is).

Comment

Is this a problem with the cpu(s)? If so, does it affect all Phenom II chips?

Comment

Is this a problem with the cpu(s)? If so, does it affect all Phenom II chips?
          It is a problem with the DDR3 controller on the AM3 Phenom II's. It should be fixable via the bios in the near future. Now weather that means the BIOS workaround will mean less aggressive timings, voltage, etc has yet to be seen. Right now DDR3 based systems show virtually no performance increases and overclocking performance is limited when compared with the same chip on a AM2+ board utilizing DDR2. In some cases DDR3 is actually slower then their DDR2 kin.

Here is a good comparison showing real world apps.

HardwareZone is the leading online technology portal in Asia Pacific gives you latest tech Updates, technology news, products & gadgets reviews and more.

You can just google the issues people are having with the DDR3 based systems, lockups and ram right now. It's been on alot of sites.
          Last edited by deanjo; 25 February 2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Hmm, ok, I guess I'll have to wait. thanks for the info.

Comment

Well, since my current box pretty much up and died, I went out and got the above mentioned AM3 motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5) + Phenom II x3 720 cpu. Everything works great out of the box with linux and it screams compared to my previous Pentium 4. Now, if I could only get phoronix test suite to work with Arch 64 linux

Comment

Working...
              X