No announcement yet.

Win $500 USD From Phoronix, Take Our Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not using adblock. I use konqueror - and I have a big filter list. However - the ads on phoronix should be shown - but I don't have flash active in konqueror. Flash is too cpu intensive for my taste and I like surfing without it better. So if phoronix wants to show me ads - fine. Do it! But not flash-ads.

Comment

I think everyone that admits to using adblock should be permanently banned.

When you freeloaders use adblock you are screwing over the sites you frequent. Sites dont magically exist for free, the money needs to come from somewhere and if not ad revenue then where? Do you all plan on donating for the bandwidth and space? Its not as cheap as most would think.

Sadly thats one of the biggest plagues on the internet these days. I dont know where the freeloaders got this sense of entitlement like everything should be free but i can only assume they rationalize it the same way pirates rationalize stealing. Honestly thier no better.

As far as contest being US and canada thats incredibly common. To make a contest legal and applicable in other countries there are additional hoops to jump through and not to mention currency conversion etc. making it US and canada keeps it simple and straightforward.

Comment

well, I am not blocking ads on phoronix. And I still think that 'its common' is a bad apology for discrimination. Also currency conversation is so not a problem. Also IDG is big. No, it just sucks. It is the same kind of discrimination why the whole world has to pay premium prices so the same stuff can be cheaper in the usa. Newegg not delivering outside of the USA or special bundles only available to us americans. You know what? Corporations who discrimiate me, because I am just a normal human and not a special american can lick my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          well, I am not blocking ads on phoronix. And I still think that 'its common' is a bad apology for discrimination.
          As been mentioned contests have laws that have to be obeyed. When running a lottery, draw, etc you have to obey the laws of the local it is being made from AND the laws of where the eligible contestants are. Some places winnings are taxable for example other's it is not. As far as whose fault it is, blame the gov't's and lawyers. The draw provider is only following the set of laws that they have to follow.

Bitch at your friendly politician, they are the ones that created the mess.

Comment

but they still want my info. They want, but they don't want to give back. Hm

Comment

well, I am not blocking ads on phoronix. And I still think that 'its common' is a bad apology for discrimination. Also currency conversation is so not a problem. Also IDG is big. No, it just sucks. It is the same kind of discrimination why the whole world has to pay premium prices so the same stuff can be cheaper in the usa. Newegg not delivering outside of the USA or special bundles only available to us americans. You know what? Corporations who discrimiate me, because I am just a normal human and not a special american can lick my ass.
              Ignorance must be bliss. Calling it discrimination is the most ridiculous, childish and ignorant thing i have heard all day.

Its not about special americans getting anything. Its about the nightmare it is for an american based company to hold any form of contest for anyone but americans.

Want someone to blame or bitch to write your local congressman/parliament rep (If you have one of course).

Comment

Originally posted by pfunkman View Post
                Ignorance must be bliss. Calling it discrimination is the most ridiculous, childish and ignorant thing i have heard all day.

Its not about special americans getting anything. Its about the nightmare it is for an american based company to hold any form of contest for anyone but americans.

Want someone to blame or bitch to write your local congressman/parliament rep (If you have one of course).
                Amen, I wonder if people call and bitch at the tv or radio stations too when they see/hear a commercial or rip out ads in magazines.

Comment

so why it is cheaper to buy a VW in USA and have it delivered to Europe than buying it locally? Why is Alternate able to sent its stuff worldwide - but the Newegg is not? Why does cost computer hardware so much more outside the USA?
                  You guys get special treatment - and everybody else is paying for it.

And IDG wants to reach a worldwide audience with their ads and they want everybody to take the survey. But only americans have a chance to get something. Yeah - that is great work. Really.

Comment

Seriously, seeing "US/CA only" is something that really pisses me off. Powercolor has held several contests recently; they were open worldwide, and I am pretty sure they are an US based company. So it's not in any way impossible.

Also, I once ordered something from the US. They taxed me -twice-, first in the US, then locally here. I would think there's a law even in the US about only having to pay sales or whatever tax only in the receiving end. Greedy US.

@energyman - Alternate is from Germany, assuming we are thinking of the same site (alternate.eu)

Comment

so why it is cheaper to buy a VW in USA and have it delivered to Europe than buying it locally? Why is Alternate able to sent its stuff worldwide - but the Newegg is not? Why does cost computer hardware so much more outside the USA?
                      You guys get special treatment - and everybody else is paying for it.
                      Do you even have the slightest inkling at how the world works or are yo just content at being ignorant and whining about things you know absolutely nothing about?

Your VW example is not even remotely true and just shows how little you know and how your willing to make things up as you go to prove your failing point.

Newegg very rarely deals with single item orders and if you lived in america and ever sent things to the UK you would know its a literal nightmare just to send one thing let alone multikle mackages. Newegg operates out of multiple warehouses meaning when you order a bunch of components its very likely you will get 2-3 packages from the various locations.

So on top of the insane rates it costs to ship things to the UK you have to then hope customs dont sit on the package for weeks, ectra VAT charges etc.

Most companies just dont want to deal with the additional headache because there is so little return for all the hoops you have to jump through.

And IDG wants to reach a worldwide audience with their ads and they want everybody to take the survey. But only americans have a chance to get something. Yeah - that is great work. Really.
                      You see again you blame the company when you should blame your government form making it such a pain in the ass.

Originally posted by curaga
                      Seriously, seeing "US/CA only" is something that really pisses me off. Powercolor has held several contests recently; they were open worldwide, and I am pretty sure they are an US based company. So it's not in any way impossible.
                      See above^^ dont like it blame your government...

Not to mention that powercolor is a subsidiary of a company based in taiwan

Originally posted by curaga
                      Also, I once ordered something from the US. They taxed me -twice-, first in the US, then locally here. I would think there's a law even in the US about only having to pay sales or whatever tax only in the receiving end. Greedy US.
                      In the US we dont pay taxes on items purchased except for very few states. You would have to show proof that you paid state sales tax as a non residant of the US because thats actually quite illegal.

Either way how is it greedy US that your country taxed you for an item that had nothing to do with your country and originated elsewhere?

The vat system is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of and why even back in my days of ebay selling i refused to ship overseas.

Comment

Working...
                      X