Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Becomes The Default Driver In Fedora 11

Phoronix: Nouveau Becomes The Default Driver In Fedora 11

Among a horde of other features to be introduced with Fedora 11 (a.k.a. Leonidas), the Nouveau driver will become the default NVIDIA driver on this Red Hat distribution. This is a fairly bold move on the behalf of Red Hat, which recently hired Ben Skeggs, one of the Nouveau developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's see what happens...

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      Let's see what happens...
      yes. I don't use fedora myself, and this may actually be one of those reasons why, but the way they stand up for and enhance Free Software is something I appreciate greatly. If nouveau outperforms nVidia binary drivers by Karmic, I'll be thanking RedHat for that.

Rock on, guys.

Comment

Fedora is very very cool. Always at the leading edge of open source technology.

Comment

Good move, latest nouveau git is working nice with my 9600GT, very snappy 2D with EXA acceleration; much smoother than nvidia's proprietary blob. Somehow KMS bricks my system, even though other 9600GT models are working fine hehe. Does fedora have daily iso snapshots?

Comment

Now that nouveau will be default in a major distro, I guess it's fair game for comparative benchmarks. Especially if people are saying its 2D is smoother than nVidia's blob.

Comment

Indeed for benchmarks. And thanks Fedora!

Comment

Cool, Nouveau and Swfdec/Gnash are bold projects that can bring fully OSS desktop to general audience. I wish these projects receive more support from big Linux players. Anyway, writing driver for undocumented HW is pretty awesome feat and if that HW happens to be modern complex 3D GPU, it's awesome^2.

Comment

Excellent move by Fedora!

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                    Does fedora have daily iso snapshots?
                    No iso snapshots unless you roll your own.

Otherwise you can track the rawhide repo. Be prepared to upgrade frequently and I'd expect things to break things frequently, too.

Comment

Working...
                    X