Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NASA's MMO Video Game To Have A Linux Port?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's MMO Video Game To Have A Linux Port?

Phoronix: NASA's MMO Video Game To Have A Linux Port?

The latest mission for NASA, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, is not to put man on Mars or revisit the Moon, but to develop a video game. NASA is working with three game studios now to develop their very own massively multi-player online game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"considered" - "Yeah, we use Linux, it helps us, but to make games for it? Lol."

Meanwhile, at least Celetania had a linux version from day one (woah!).

Comment

We have been tipped off that it is indeed being considered.
      That almost the same as me considering to buy a Kawasaki ZX14 and building a computer that can store my music and unify all the other systems in the bike displaying it in a skinable readout on an LCD screen in place of the gauges........but it will more than likely not happen in the forseeable future.

And I don't think I would pay a subscription to play it as it sounds like there's no aliens, zombies or other mindless NPCs to interact with or blast away.

I know it's aimed at high school aged kids but seriously all this will be is something that they can play in school to reduce the teachers workload of actually teaching.

Things like this are the reasons I did things like write a BASIC program that imitates the sound of the fire alarm and gets our class evacuated 20 mins before lunch while everyone else stayed in.

Comment

Anyone knows what engine Star Wars - The Old Republic uses?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Anyone knows what engine Star Wars - The Old Republic uses?
          Doesn't that use the Odyssey Engine?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Doesn't that use the Odyssey Engine?
            Are you sure? I haven't found any kind of information about it yet. Would be too good if it was going to be released for Linux, too. I expect it to become the second biggest MMOG after World of Warcraft, but it's still a while...

Comment

I will put this on my short list of games NOT to play. Since I can only imagine how boring it is going to be.

Comment

"A space game won't appeal to all Linux gamers, but at least it's not yet another first-person shooter and it will be a modern-day game."

Ah, you can say that loud! You should do a topic talking about this... we are sick and tired of FPS games for Linux!!! That's the only thing we have and we don't even have the best ones out there on the market..

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Are you sure? I haven't found any kind of information about it yet. Would be too good if it was going to be released for Linux, too. I expect it to become the second biggest MMOG after World of Warcraft, but it's still a while...
                  Are you sure your not thinking of Star Wars Galaxies? Knights of the Old Republic wasn't a MMO at all. (and yes KotOR used the odyssey engine.)

From an interview when Galaxies was being developed...

Saromus: Does Star Wars Galaxies use a Licensed Game Engine or does it have a Proprietary Engine?

Bogafett: The SWG engine was written from scratch. There was no tech available to handle what SWG provides for both the client/server.
                  http://swg.stratics.com/content/?Cat=264&uid=1259
                  Last edited by deanjo; 23 February 2009, 11:36 PM.

Comment

A non-profit organisation creating an MMORPG with a monthly based paid subscription...?

Comment

Working...
                    X