Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardy multi-monitor configuration with mixed resolutions/rotation on an ATI HD4850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardy multi-monitor configuration with mixed resolutions/rotation on an ATI HD4850

I am having difficulties configuring a multi-monitor setup on Intrepid using the out-of-the-box (or off-the-mirror) proprietary ATI drivers. I am running two monitors, one at 2560x1600, and a secondary at 1680x1050. The secondary monitor is rotated 90 degrees clockwise relative to the user. The graphics card is an ATI HD4850. I currently have the monitors setup to use BigDesktop. This works as I would like (with window dragging between screens, and support for separate panels for each screen), but does not seem to allow for rotation of the secondary screen.
    Is there a way to support such a setup, and if so, how?

I'm a very visual person, so I made this image to summarize the problem. (Made with the wonderful open source Inkscape)Image
    I made that diagram a while ago, and it is not up to date. I've switched back to 8.04, and am now running fglrx 9.1.

Current xorg.conf:
    Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen      0  "Default Screen" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load  "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	Option	    "PairModes" "2560x1600+2560x1600,2560x1600+1050x1680"
    	BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Default Screen"
    	Device     "Configured Video Device"
    	Monitor    "Configured Monitor"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    EndSection
    I have never really learned how to get xorg.conf properly configured. I figured this was a question for the gurus of Phoronix, guessing that although the Ubuntu Forums failed to yield an answer someone here might know a way to get things working. Have any ideas?

Thank you for any assistance you can give.

I've now upgraded to fglrx 9.2, and can't seem to get dual monitors to work at all.

I used these commands:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig ?initial=dual-head ?screen-layout=left
    sudo aticonfig ?dtop=horizontal ?overlay-on=1
    sudo aticonfig ?resolution=0,2560x1600,1280?1024,1
    sudo aticonfig ?resolution=1,1680x1050,1280?1024,1
    After login it just reverts to an unresponsive black screen without cursor, prompt, or anything. I can't even use Control+Alt+F# to switch to any other terminals.

Comment

can you delete the amdpcsdb file then run aticonfig initial again ?
      Test signature

Comment

Working...
      X