Catalyst 9.2 Released, Still Fails To Deliver XvBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

OK, that makes sense. Here's an interesting question -- did you ever play videos for any length of time under Compiz before ? The obvious reason for asking is that playing video under Compiz involves at least 2x the pixel pushing of video without Compiz. I'm obviously trying to figure out if the slow performance under Compiz is new, or if it was always slow but you never noticed because the flickering chased you away first

Yes, you are right about this. The flickering didn't really appeal to me, so I never gave it a chance. It was probably just as slow, only now I'm actually able to see it. Or really, when flickering before, it didn't really involve Compiz, just fighting for the frame buffer ? Now it definitely involves Compiz, since video is transformed/composited properly.

In summary, your reply totally makes sense. Also wrt. to open source radeon driver using bicubic scaling. I remember seeing some of that while peeking into the source code and reverting a patch to radeon-GIT which broke tear-free XV on my hardware (a while back, now).

Anyway, thanks again for your replies.

Comment

hi,
      I can't load the fglrx module,
      I get

Code:
      fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_poll
      fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_open
      fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_release
      fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_read
      fglrx: Unknown symbol firegl_interrupt_write
      with catalyst 9.1 I had no problem..
      I have a custom kernel so I guess there are some kernel options I have to adjust...

P.S:

In compiling time I get:

Code:
      WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_write" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
      WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_read" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
      WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_release" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
      WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_open" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!
      WARNING: "firegl_interrupt_poll" [/var/abs/local/cata91/catalyst/src/archive_files/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/fglrx.ko] undefined!

edit:
      ok, I've just recompiled the kernel and works fine
      Last edited by kkkk; 21 February 2009, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Can't use Xinerama anymore. (screen just gets black after starting xserver and nothing happens...) Without this option this release is useless for me...

Comment

I am pleased with this release. It's not 100% but it shows progress.

XV under compiz almost works now. The only problem is that video is sized for the whole window's size, not the window minus player controls. Other than that though it was smooth. Hopefully video will be 100% under 9.3

Comment

I think I can sum up ATI catalyst releases quite nicely.
            And I'll do so by quoting Michael

"Hopefully next month ........"

Keep hoping and waiting guys. Meanwhile, I'm I sold my ATI and bought an nvidia

Comment

Full of problems and bugs.

Comment

I've seen an increase in FPS while playing savage 2. This is good.

EDIT: mythfrontend and opengl seem to be working nicely as well. gw

EDIT2: The FPS increase is unreliable, at times it will drop from 80 to 15 for no obvious reason.
                mythfrontend only worked the once with opengl. From subsequent starts, it exhibits the same old bug of not displaying the menu change.

have experienced hardlocks when changing to a VT sometimes. My smooth sailing is over it seems..
                Last edited by storma; 21 February 2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Why is it so big? Nvidia's 64-bit drivers that include 32-bit compat libs and pre-built kernel modules are around 20MB. I think they should hire one of the Damn Small Linux (or Puppy) devs to fit it under 50MB .

And seriously nobody, I say nobody, cares about xvba, especially when one talks about fglrx. It would be face-saving if they manage to implement even a half-functional vdpau before the radeon, radeonhd and intel guys do it in their sleep .

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
                    Why is it so big? Nvidia's 64-bit drivers that include 32-bit compat libs and pre-built kernel modules are around 20MB. I think they should hire one of the Damn Small Linux (or Puppy) devs to fit it under 50MB .
                    Nvidia offer separate packages depending on what you want. Ati have bundled it all in one.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Full of problems and bugs.
                      I'm going to have to agree.

XV playback may have improved, but wow.. I'm getting random freezes when X starts, random crashes when I restore applications in KDE, and all sorts of other random oddities. I've reinstalled the drivers twice, so I'm just not sure what's going on.

Comment

Working...
                      X