Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, call it glacial then

Are you saying that the 9.2 release is *more* glacial than 9.1 ?
    9.1 works just as "well" as any other previous release. 9.2 is bugged here. It's not about "slow" it's about some bug that results in sub-1FPS performance in everything.

Also, totally out of the blue, some elements in KDE4 appear differently than with 9.1. For example, the desktop buttons on the task bar are laid out horizontally instead of vertically. I was not able to check for other weird stuff because you can't do anything on the desktop; it's like looking at a screenshot of a desktop or trying to use true-color, uncompressed VNC over a 8kbbs phone modem connection.

There was nothing helpful in Xorg.0.log nor dmesg. Xorg.0.log also gets spammed to death with modeline messages.

I'm on Gentoo AMD64*, kernel 2.6.28.5 and X.Org 1.5.3. Radeon HD4870 512MB.

*And because of this you never know if it's a packaging bug or not. I don't think the installer works on Gentoo; we rely on the Gentoo fglrx maintainer to package it.
    Last edited by RealNC; 02 March 2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• OK, thanks.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        9.1 works just as "well" as any other previous release. 9.2 is bugged here. It's not about "slow" it's about some bug that results in sub-1FPS performance in everything.

Also, totally out of the blue, some elements in KDE4 appear differently than with 9.1. For example, the desktop buttons on the task bar are laid out horizontally instead of vertically. I was not able to check for other weird stuff because you can't do anything on the desktop; it's like looking at a screenshot of a desktop or trying to use true-color, uncompressed VNC over a 8kbbs phone modem connection.

There was nothing helpful in Xorg.0.log nor dmesg. Xorg.0.log also gets spammed to death with modeline messages.
        Try backing up your .kde4 directory and starting fresh. If that works, restore your .kde4 directory and start selectively deleting settings (kwin may help).

Comment

• I'd rather keep it as-is because there's absolutely nothing in 9.2 that makes it worth the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
          X