Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general disappointment

no uvd, powerplay still broken.

I have just sold my ati/amd m780g based hp laptop, and at this point I am happier than when I owned one .

generally it would hang at the first sight of 3d even in vista, decode h.264 with a lot of stutter, and in linux eat up battery in 1,5 hours with very light usage, hang every now and then, mess up the video, refuse to load at some point and I could go on for hours.
    General disappointment.

But that does not concern me anymore because I have sold it! hooray!

Comment

• Originally posted by smagic View Post
      no uvd, powerplay still broken.

I have just sold my ati/amd m780g based hp laptop, and at this point I am happier than when I owned one .

generally it would hang at the first sight of 3d even in vista, decode h.264 with a lot of stutter, and in linux eat up battery in 1,5 hours with very light usage, hang every now and then, mess up the video, refuse to load at some point and I could go on for hours.
      General disappointment.

But that does not concern me anymore because I have sold it! hooray!
      As said, 780g is very well supported by the FOSS drivers. 3D is soon to come. If you use Linux, you should have some amount of patience with these things in general, I think -- why sell the thing three months after the specs for your GPU were released?
      Last edited by susikala; 23 February 2009, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by susikala View Post
        As said, 780g is very well supported by the FOSS drivers. 3D is soon to come. If you use Linux, you should have some amount of patience with these things in general, I think -- why sell the thing three months after the specs for your GPU were released?
        I hate this "soon" everyone is talking about...

Comment

• Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
          I hate this "soon" everyone is talking about...
          AMD/ATI is quite obviously investing more per user in Linux than in any other platform, both with Catalyst and the FOSS drivers. You can only give them a kudos for that and for not folding up linuxwise. The timeframe in which the docs were posted was reasonable, and what we _now_ already have working with the FOSS drivers is a lot more than reasonable. I actually thought they'd need ~half a year to implement proper video playback. Add to it the fact it wouldn't change a wee bit for most personal computer users if AMD didn't develop drivers at all for Linux, and you see you have slight to no reason to complain.

Comment

• Originally posted by elsie View Post
            OMG! "Unredirect..." has been enabled for sooo long I completely forgot about it!
            I unchecked it & now have stable flicker free XV playback!

My only trouble now is X going blank whenever I switch from battery to AC. I can CTRL-ALT into console & then back to X & problem is resolved...any ideas anyone?
            If you don't care about your GPU clocking down and using less power when on battery, try this:
            1) $ aticonfig --auto-powerstates=off
            2) Logut/login
            3) Pull AC power chord.
            4) Put AC power chord back in.

For me, fglrx auto-powerstates actually hard-crashes X, instead of it just going black, like in your case.

--
            ATI X1400, Ubuntu 8.10

Comment

• Besides the well known issues and not-yet-implemented features, The last two FGLRX releases have been awesome for me.
              (Dell Inspiron 1501 w/ Radeon Xpress 1150)
              Perhaps my cheap card is less finicky, or maybe i'm lucky. But i've had no problems at all. Each release works better than the last for me.

Just wanted to say thanks to Bridgman and everyone else involved in the Linux side over at AMD. And of course to all the open source devs as well. Im looking forward to switching over to that eventually.

Comment

• Textured2D

Would I be right in my suspicion that Textured2D (or similar) is now enabled by default, also for my old and crappy ATI X1400 mobile ? I'm seeing "Textured2D"-like behaviour which I can only remember seeing before when I tested it manually with older Catalyst-releases:
                * Certain small tearing patterns, not very annoying though, but easily visible when for instance GDM loads.
                * Also slightly laggy/strange repaint-behaviour when moving windows slowly but with constant speed over a window behind it, for instance over a gnome-terminal with old-style transparent background.

2D perf is overall good, though. And I'm not talking about Compiz-env here, just plain Metacity.

Comment

• Why does fglrx x86_64 driver hardcode /usr/lib64 in it's binary? It messes up with distros providing a pure 64-bit Linux. For example, Arch Linux http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65960

It's been a problem since catalyst 9.1

Comment

• As if a link lib->lib64 is going to bring the world down. Seriously.

Comment

• With my ati mobility 1600 powerplay stopped working. So I sadly have to confirm the powerplay bug. Back to 9.1.

Comment

Working...
                      X