Catalyst 9.2 Released, Still Fails To Deliver XvBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
    Then I'm starting to think it simply isn't present in the repo's. There certainly isn't a single package which has xserver,m or xorg, combined with sdk in the name.
    Any idea where I can get a version compatible with my installed x.org version?
    I dont know how ubuntu developers packaged them but on opensuse the -dev package contains header files that needed to compile X apps. The sdk package contains stuff for driver development. My be you should ask this on #radeonhd irc cahnnel.

Comment

Originally posted by rahman.duran View Post
      So what kind of CPU do you have? Becouse it is nothing to do with XV, there is no acceleration for hd content on amd/ati side neither on fglrx nor foss drivers. It is completely CPU related to play hd videos. So I can't play 1080p videos on my x2 4000+ CPU without frame drops. So if you don't have a fast enough CPU you can't play any hd content both on fglrx and radeon/radeonhd drivers.
      I have a Phenom 9550, so 2.2GHz each core. Quite below what you normally need for 1080p (> 3 GHz). There are _some_ 1080p videos where I either have to resort to framedropping or use ffmpeg-mt, but only with the really killer bitrates (or on some cases where audio lags behind, and that's really a CPU issue). Most 1080p actually _works_ for me. Which it has never with (teary) xv or (nonteary) opengl on Catalyst. So it's most definitely a driver issue.
      Last edited by susikala; 22 February 2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
        I have a Phenom 9550, so 2.2GHz each core. Quite below what you normally need for 1080p (> 3 GHz). There are _some_ 1080p videos where I either have to resort to framedropping or use ffmpeg-mt, but only with the really killer bitrates (or on some cases where audio lags behind, and that's really a CPU issue). Most 1080p actually _works_ for me. Which it has never with (teary) xv (nonteary) or opengl on catalyst. So it's most definitely a driver issue.
        I know tearing is driver related. I have hd3200 igp and using radeonhd r6xx-r7xx brunch. And I am quite pleased with the xv performance. I didnt mean to say anything about tearing, all I wanted to say, xv has nothing to do to watch 1080p hd videos.

Comment

Then I'm starting to think it simply isn't present in the repo's. There certainly isn't a single package which has xserver,m or xorg, combined with sdk in the name.
          Any idea where I can get a version compatible with my installed x.org version?
          You can check if xutils-dev makes the trick.

Comment

You can check if xutils-dev makes the trick.
            Unfortunately, it doesn't. I already had it installed, but I reinstalled it and tried again. Alas, no succes.

EDIT:
            The package I needed is called libdrm-dev. I never would've thought of that...
            Last edited by JeanPaul145; 22 February 2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I know tearing is driver related. I have hd3200 igp and using radeonhd r6xx-r7xx brunch. And I am quite pleased with the xv performance. I didnt mean to say anything about tearing, all I wanted to say, xv has nothing to do to watch 1080p hd videos.
              Well, there is the rudimentary difference that with Xv, scaling is handled by the GPU and not by the CPU (if I understand it correctly, correct me if I'm wrong). So some processing power is still offloaded to the GPU.

Comment

Unfortunately, it doesn't. I already had it installed, but I reinstalled it and tried again. Alas, no succes.
                I use the same platform. Do you have xorg-dev installed too?

Comment

Well, there is the rudimentary difference that with Xv, scaling is handled by the GPU and not by the CPU (if I understand it correctly, correct me if I'm wrong). So some processing power is still offloaded to the GPU.
                  You are right about scaling. But as I have 1920x1200 lcd the video out doesn't need to be scaled. Scaling is important is you are watching small res videos on hd lcd, maybe. Am I wrong?

Comment

You are right about scaling. But as I have 1920x1200 lcd the video out doesn't need to be scaled. Scaling is important is you are watching small res videos on hd lcd, maybe. Am I wrong?
                    1080p (1920x1080) would still be lightly scaled-up on your monitor.

Comment

1080p (1920x1080) would still be lightly scaled-up on your monitor.

Nope, there are black borders on top and bottom

Comment

Working...
                      X