Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rahman.duran View Post
    Nope, there are black borders on top and bottom
    Isn't that already a player issue? You can define the ratio in mplayer etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
      Unfortunately, it doesn't. I already had it installed, but I reinstalled it and tried again. Alas, no succes.

EDIT:
      The package I needed is called libdrm-dev. I never would've thought of that...
      Cool

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
        Isn't that already a player issue? You can define the ratio in mplayer etc.
        Nope, this is normal. My lcd is 1200px tall not 1080px if you want it to fit entire screen than it will strech up. There will be black border even you have a 1920x1080 lcd because it depends on the movies aspect ratio and most of them are below 16:9. For example I have a pixar animated trailer is 1920x1080 res which will fit on hd tvs perfectly, and X-men trailer in 1920x816 that you will have black borders on eiher 1200px or 1080px display.

So, It doesnt mean all 1080p vidoes will fit perfect on 1080p displays.

Comment

Nope, this is normal. My lcd is 1200px tall not 1080px if you want it to fit entire screen than it will strech up. There will be black border even you have a 1920x1080 lcd because it depends on the movies aspect ratio and most of them are below 16:9. For example I have a pixar animated trailer is 1920x1080 res which will fit on hd tvs perfectly, and X-men trailer in 1920x816 that you will have black borders on eiher 1200px or 1080px display.

So, It doesnt mean all 1080p vidoes will fit perfect on 1080p displays.
          I meant you could tell your player to stretch the video to fit the screen. And a 1920x816 video shouldn't be 1080p. XD 1080p is always 1080 vertical lines, with implied aspect ratio of 16:9, so 1920x1080.

Comment

I meant you could tell your player to stretch the video to fit the screen.
            If you strech it will look bad like egg headed people

And a 1920x816 video shouldn't be 1080p. XD 1080p is always 1080 vertical lines, with implied aspect ratio of 16:9, so 1920x1080.
            Tell this to movie studios

Comment

I had to go back to 9.1 because the "black borders" workaround (aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0 etc.) for 1920x1080 stopped working. Xrandr now says "DFP2" instead of previous "default", and trying to set tmds2i dispattribs with aticonfig ends in error. Doing --query functions I figured out aticonfig now would recognize "dfp" output, but nevertheless I cannot set display attributes for any display name I can think of.

Using HD 3450, HDMI-over-DVI and having the famous underscan (and following hang if you don't reset to amdpcsdb defaults every time you logout) problem. Setting display attributes at every login works with 9.1.
              Quite a mess.

If anyone knows how to set the parameters in 9.2, let us know.

Comment

I use the same platform. Do you have xorg-dev installed too?
                Yep. As I posted earlier (I edited a previous post) libdrm-dev was needed. Now I can compile, make and make install both the drm and the driver modules properly.

However, when I set the Driver in the Device section to "radeonhd", all I get is a garbled screen.

next to the
                Code:
                Option      "AccelMethod" "exa" # default shadowfb
                Option      "DRI" "on"
                options in the xorg.conf file, are there any other settings of interest for a radeon hd 4870?
                Last edited by JeanPaul145; 22 February 2009, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
                  Yep. As I posted earlier (I edited a previous post) libdrm-dev was needed. Now I can compile, make and make install both the drm and the driver modules properly.

However, when I set the Driver in the Device section to "radeonhd", all I get is a garbled screen.

next to the
                  Code:
                  Option      "DRI" "on"
                  options in the xorg.conf file, are there any other settings of interest for a radeon hd 4870?
                  can you pastebin your xorg.0.log ?

Comment

can you pastebin your xorg.0.log ?
                    here are the xorg.0.log and xorg.0.log.old (I don't know if the logfile is wiped clean after a reboot, but I imagine it is).

here id the xorg.conf I used (I left out a big block of comments, but that shouldn't matter):

Code:
                    Section "Device"
                            Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
                            Driver      "radeonhd"
                            Option      "DRI" "on"
                    EndSection
                    I'll reboot, reproduce the error, and then, before I reboot again, I'll pastebin those logs.

EDIT: I rebooted and looked at the logs. It seems that at the time radeonHD is supposed to be loaded, it thinks that fglrx is already loaded. It is true I have fglrx installed, but I always thought the loading process was done by xorg.conf.
                    So I'll uninstall fglrx and try again.
                    Last edited by JeanPaul145; 22 February 2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• FWIW, Xv performs colour space conversion (from YCbCr to RGB) as well as scaling. Might not seem like much but it does offload a couple of gigaflops/sec of work, which is a big deal for most CPUs (and is a big deal for *all* CPUs if the code isn't making full use of SIMD extensions and multiple cores).
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X