Catalyst 9.2 Released, Still Fails To Deliver XvBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boerkel View Post
    I went back to 9.1 because of my issue with xinerama. I can't work with a big desktop where maximized window takes both of my screens.
    I'm very sad about this, because xv got better with 9.2, but now i can't use it.
    Did you do an "aticonfig --initial" after installing 9.2?

Comment

Dont know if this is the right place to post, but doing so in all ignorance.

I installed the new driver hoping it would have support for geometry shaders. but glxinfo still does not show the presence of the GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 extension. When I tried a simple application with geometry shaders, the glProgramParameteriEXT() method is seg faulting.

Anyone knows if there is a way to get geometry shaders to work? any help is appreciated

(btw i have a HD4850 card)

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
        No and yes. I didn't, but i tried now and it doesn't help.

Comment

Okay, first impressions:
          1. Well... I got used to the fact, that the driver is always increasing, so now wonder it's 80 MB now
          2. Compiz "blur windows" effect still doesn't work
          3. amdcccle starts fine and fast for me
          4. Warcraft 3 runs just as slow (maybe 5 fps faster) as (than) with 9.1 after it decreased by 50% in January
          5. Uhm... my xorg.log says the module was build on 4th February... Why has the driver been released that late then?
          6. Just checking wether starting a second X server works now... At least it's listed in the known issues now! EDIT: okay, hardlock
          7. Testing S2RAM with Compiz, too, now... That one has been in the known issues for quite some time now, though. EDIT: okay, corrupted+lookup (though I could still move my mouse)

By the way, for everyone who complains about no changes: This release has fixed that many bugs and added many other bugs I was confronted with to the known issues list, and I like that MUCH more than support for crossfire which breaks everything else.
          Last edited by NeoBrain; 21 February 2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Someone kill fglrx driver, please. He'll do a favour to humanity.

Comment

My initial post was positive, unfortunately things have changed.

The FPS increase is unreliable, at times it will drop from 80 to 15 for no obvious reason.
              mythfrontend only worked the once with opengl. From subsequent starts, it exhibits the same old bug of not displaying the menu change.

Have experienced hardlocks when changing to a VT sometimes. My smooth sailing is over it seems..

Comment

No... were there radical enough changes between 9.1 and 9.2 to warrant this?

To be honest, I had seen the "X crash on startup" problem with 9.1, but it was a very random thing. With 9.2 it was more often that X crashed than it started up properly.

9.2 is basically unusuable for me at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
                  I've seen an increase in FPS while playing savage 2. This is good.
                  I haven't measured the result but I think I got an increase too.

Card: 4850/512MB

If he had previously installed 9.1 (or even an older one), this step is not necessary....AFAIK, please correct me if i'm wrong. ^^

Comment

You perform --initial to load the module in xorg.conf (if it's already there it won't do anything). I don't know how you guys install the drivers, but when I do it I first completely uninstall the older ones (run the uninstall script and remove /etc/ati), rebuild and restart X, install the new drivers, and finally reboot. This I found to be the best way to go about installation.

Comment

If you don't remove the old one, you don't have to execute aticonfig...at least I did it like that and haven't got any problems. :/

Comment

Working...
                      X