Sun Studio 12 vs. GCC3 vs. GCC4 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
    For instance, why focus on compile time? If the resulting code is twice as slow but compiles 10 secs faster, is it good?
    It's good for developers, particularly when trying to fix bugs in large projects. Besides, I didn't see the article "focus" on compile time at all; it was just one benchmark presented alongside a bunch of others.

Comment

I think it's a good benchmark. It does exactly what it says: compares GCC 3.4 and 4.0 against Sun Studio 12. Of course we don't use those ancient GCC versions anymore, but the benchmark never mentioned it tests anything newer than GCC 4.0.

As for testing compilation speed, any compiler benchmark has to test it, regardless of whether people consider it useless or not. It's a must to test.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
        It's good for developers, particularly when trying to fix bugs in large projects. Besides, I didn't see the article "focus" on compile time at all; it was just one benchmark presented alongside a bunch of others.
        Yes, maybe you are right. There was no "focus" on compile time in the article. I want to take my first post back. Apologize for that.

Anyway, I like this test better than the others. I would like GCC people to also give their input. Not only SUN people. Otherwise it isnt fair if only SUN people can give input.

Comment

I am currently very short in time because of my "official" work, but I will definitely perform some Intel vs. gcc tests on some Linux apps when possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            yeah... not really.

build systems typically only rebuild changed parts, and as such the compiletime is very minimal whilst developing. Furthermore, with quadcore+ workstations, its practically irellevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
              build systems typically only rebuild changed parts
              That's the idea. Sometimes it doesn't really work, or other circumstances minimize the benefit (some projects have single files that take a while to build, for example).

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
              Furthermore, with quadcore+ workstations, its practically irellevant.
              Lots of people don't have such workstations yet.

Comment

Also, some projects do not use a build system (OpenLieroX, I'm looking at you!)

Comment

Working...
                X