Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 0.7.1 About To Arrive

Phoronix: NetworkManager 0.7.1 About To Arrive

NetworkManager, the exceptional free software utility for managing wired and wireless (including mobile broadband / cellular connections), is about to reach its next major milestone since the release of NetworkManager 0.7.0 in the second half of 2008. Red Hat's Dan Williams and his fellow NetworkManager engineers are preparing to release NetworkManager 0.7.1. The NetworkManager 0.7.1 update includes a whole slew of fixes, updated translations, and new support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are fixes really needed. The quality of that tool really DOWNGRADED...

Comment

I can't wait for broadcasting new networks.. to be able to chat over Bonjour without a router..

Comment

Always someone willing to step up and complain about free... perhaps assist in testing the RC to ensure the bugs and regressions are identified.

----------------------

Thanks for the new version guys! Great to see active FOSS projects delivering great value.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig73
          Always someone willing to step up and complain about free... perhaps assist in testing the RC to ensure the bugs and regressions are identified.
          This type of answer is really starting to bug me everytime I hear it in F/OSS environments. It's extremely counterproductive and sure to make newcomers to the community feel unwelcome.

I won't even touch on the fact that the "complainer" here is an active contributor to several projects and actually maintains a live-CD distro :-/

Let's see, there are more than 20000 packages in any decent Linux distribution. Many (most?) of them have bugs in various situations. Should someone be obliged to contribute and submit patches to ALL of those? Get serious! The fact that the software is free doesn't make it somehow "holly" and untouchable, and complaining actually serves a very good purpose -- to make the developers aware of problems and motivate them into fixing those.

By the way, Linus repeatedly complained about how crappy GNOME was in his view and recently again about the state of KDE. Does that mean he's a lamer for not wasting his time in trying to fix those packages?!

One can contribute with patches, bug-reports, suggestions and yes, even complaints. That's what makes a community! Let's not forget that a lot of us can be developers at one time and users the next. But that doesn't mean we have to investigate and debug every single bit of software installed on a machine just because "it's free"...

Anyway, networkmanager is usually the first package I purge on recent installations. I used to like it in the beginning, now... not so much. I didn't even complain about it, see what a neat little free-citizen I am? :-/

Comment

Well, I know it's silly, but I hope they finally added a disconnect button in the applet...

Comment

First of all, I would say that NetworkManager is a really great tool.

Then comes my rant. Indeed, similar to what Kano said, there is always a bit of a question mark over the quality. Granted that people have so many different network setups, a few bugs should be pardonable. But what sometimes disappoints are simple issues. While it could be said that a simple thing like static ip over ethernet is best done with ifconfig, why would it take networkmanager more than a year to implement it (or release it). True that the focus is wireless and other fancy connections, but please take care of simple things first. Another issue, but I sympathize with nm in this case, is the constantly changing linux kernel api (notably libnl?) and the quality of drivers. I remember having a torrid time with my intel 3945 wireless back in 2007, when I used to frequently try out the iwl3945 drivers and the new 80211 stack and fail miserably and come back again to ipw3945 driver (with a binary daemon). Fortunately, the drivers are no longer an issue (almost, atleast on broadcom and intel wireless).

Regardless, nothing makes me happier than a simple powerful gigabit ethernet connection. (And I always liked Gentoo's networking scripts for this purpose.)

Now back to fancy stuff, how many people (read geeks) are actually using internet using gprs via bluetooth?

Comment

The most annoying thing with networkmanger is, that the version in lenny (0.6.6) does not work correctly when updated from 0.6.5. Then I tried the 0.7.0 variant. That does not show the used ip that easy like the older versions and you are required to use NM for static ips. with 0.6.5 it was possible to set one (of two) nic with the /etc/network/interfaces and use only dhcp on the other - ok there was no static ip support at all in there. Of course I need the kde frontend, so maybe the gnome one works better...

Comment

does it work with WPA2 Enterprise now ?

WPA2 Personal works perfectly fine but Enterprise doesn't - so logging in to my university's network is a no-go

Comment

Originally posted by mgc8 View Post
                    Let's see, there are more than 20000 packages in any decent Linux distribution. Many (most?) of them have bugs in various situations. Should someone be obliged to contribute and submit patches to ALL of those? Get serious! The fact that the software is free doesn't make it somehow "holly" and untouchable, and complaining actually serves a very good purpose -- to make the developers aware of problems and motivate them into fixing those.
                    I can appreciate your perspective, and not knowing Kano, his statement was quite non-specific in that the tool was degrading in quality and I'm not sure how that helps developers or anyone. Complaints should be specific and actionable, otherwise they are just negativity. [and note I didn't even suggest he fix them... just report the issues he's identified]

[And thank-you Kano for following up and stating what you had issue with, for those of us not intimately familiar with that particular package, it helps us much more in understanding its short comings or issues.]

FWIW - I don't care about static IPs or multiple NICs, and likely most non-technical general end-users don't either, so without clarifying the issues it's hard to know if they apply to a particular use-case... but knowing it trips over minor version upgrades would concern me, especially if I administered a large site.

Comment

Working...
                    X