Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI, when will we be able to watch a movie in Linux??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI, when will we be able to watch a movie in Linux??!!

@bridgman
    I have a HD2600 XT AGP and video playback (even with Catalyst 9.1) is like CRAP. Seriously. CRAP.
    I've been waiting for a year and a half to be able to watch a movie without tearing in Linux.
    Is that really too much to ask??

NVIDIA supports HD playback in Linux but ATI doesn't even support SD.

So, when will we be able to watch a movie in Linux?

If you don't use Compiz/similiar. then use OpenGL as video-output and enable VSync in CCC. It's a bit more heavy on the CPU, but you shouldn't experience any more tearing then.
    If you use Compiz/similiar, there's currently no way to get rid of the tearing. But afaik that's the same with nVidia and Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      If you use Compiz/similiar, there's currently no way to get rid of the tearing. But afaik that's the same with nVidia and Intel.
      Having just switched from nvidia to ATI (why, I wonder), I can assure you that you can watch a movie with a NV basaed card with composite enabled with no problem whatsoever.

Catalyst 9-x maybe?

Comment

Ok, just did some searching and found that this statement only is true for nVidia when VDPAU is used, otherwise it seems there's no tearing with nVidia+Compiz.

Comment

If you don't use Compiz/similiar. then use OpenGL as video-output and enable VSync in CCC. It's a bit more heavy on the CPU, but you shouldn't experience any more tearing then.
          It's a nice thought, but it's simply not feasible for HD video. I have an HD4870 and an Intel Q9450 (2.66GHz) and OpenGL output is lagging behind the audio when playing 1080i/p. With Xvideo it's fine, but the tearing makes it unwatchable.

Comment

this solution is useless with HD movies

I was able to watch fullhd movies with a 6600GT, now with a hd4850 I just can't

and it's now 6 months I run windows instead of linux, because of ATI.

to ATI : you don't say you support linux at the moment the video card is out if you can't even support video playback

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
              It's a nice thought, but it's simply not feasible for HD video. I have an HD4870 and an Intel Q9450 (2.66GHz) and OpenGL output is lagging behind the audio when playing 1080i/p. With Xvideo it's fine, but the tearing makes it unwatchable.
              this issue should have been the top priority

Comment

If you use Compiz/similiar, there's currently no way to get rid of the tearing.
                Thanks. It works with OpenGL.
                For the moment, I guess I need to turn the desktop effects off when watching a movie and turn them back on after that. I cannot work in KDE 4.2 without desktop effects because even moving a window is waaaay too much for this driver.
                I wonder when HD playback will be possible..

Comment

just don't use compiz.

I am watching movies just fine - in kde.

Comment

wait for OSS support.. it should soon be coming for R600/700 3D.. then you can use compiz to your heart's content without videos tearing.. i too waited (without any use) for ati to fix it on my r520.. but have been using the open source radeon driver once it started supporting my card

Comment

Working...
                    X