No announcement yet.

RV770 drm failed to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need a 2.6.30 kernel built with modular drm support enabled.

You have the 2.6.30 kernel but it doesn't seem to have been built with drm enabled.

The radeonhd wiki page says you need drm from the 2.6.30 kernel tree. You have most of the kernel from 2.6.30 but you don't have the drm.
    Test signature

Comment

Ok i understand.
      So even if i load the modules (drm and radeon) at boot it will not work.
      Problem is that i compiled my own kernel but my mouse didn't work..., so i tried a pre-compiled kernel.
      Thanks for your answer, i have to make this mouse work!

Bibi

Comment

Well i did but it still doesn't work.
        I think the drm is well loaded, but i can't use the Xvideo output in mplayer and scrolling in Firefox is slow.

Here my Xorg log :
        Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

My xorg.conf :

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

And a part of my dmesg :

Bibi

Comment

If those are all the drm-related messages in dmesg then you are still running a drm which is much too old.

Where did the drm come from this time ?
          Test signature

Comment

There is something that i don't understand.

I have compiled my kernel yesterday, with drm and radeon enabled as module in the .config (2.6.30.1).

I used these commands : "make, make modules_install then make install".

Is there anything else that i have to do ?

Bibi
            Last edited by bibi; 28 July 2009, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bibi View Post
              I used these commands : "make, make modules_install then make install".

Is there anything else that i have to do ?
              make modules_install should copy the modules into the right place, make install copies kernel and config to /boot so you don't have to do it if you prefer copying it there yourself. After those steps possible initrd generation if you want to and Grub configuration to use the new files.

Comment

Originally posted by bibi View Post
                I use a 2.6.30 kernel. Is this tutorial (http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Ar6xx_r7xx_branch) always working ?

Thanks for the answer.

Bibi
                Bibi, note that the original post is quite old. Back then, and as seen in the wiki (or maybe not, kind of confusing) you had to point git to r6xx-r7xx-support branch. That is no longer the case. So after the git clone git... step, you do NOT do the checkout. This will keep it pointed to master.

This should be true for mesa/mesa, xf86-video-ati, and xf86-video-radeonhd. It is probably true for mesa/drm.

If you are trying agd5f/drm, then after the clone, you need to checkout branch r6xx-r7xx-3d (or something like that, you can see branches from web browsing or from commands - read up on git).

Hopefully Alex or Bridgman will correct me if these are wrong.

The reason to compile drm as module in kernel conifg is so the gits can overwrite them. If drm compiled into kernel, then you probably can't uninstall them and use the drm you compiled from the git. Hope that makes sense.

Note that the devs are making lots of changes to the code, mostly on mesa and 3D is a work in progress. If you need 3D, try the Catalyst drivers.

Comment

If you are using 2.6.30 or above you don't need to build a separate drm; the drm code in the kernel tree should be fine for EXA/Xv on 6xx/7xx.

In general :

- for 2.6.28 or below build drm from ~agd5f/drm r6xx-r7xx-3d branch (this also gets you WIP 3D support)

- for 2.6.30 and above the kernel should already have all the necessary code for EXA/Xv support on 6xx/7xx

- for 2.6.29 easiest route is to update the kernel to 2.6.30 or higher

Bibi, can you please pastebin the entire dmesg output ? Where are you getting your kernel source ?
                  Last edited by bridgman; 28 July 2009, 11:53 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

I use vanilla kernel source from http://www.kernel.org/ (2.6.30.1).

I have a drm.ko and a radeon.ko in /lib/modules/... so i think that the modules are well-installed.

My dmesg :

Bibi

Comment

OK, that all sounds right. Let's assume the drm is OK for now.

I noticed another error message in the X log which I don't remember seeing before :

316.(EE) RADEONHD(0): RHDDRIVersionCheck: symbol GlxSetVisualConfigs not available.
                      317.(WW) RADEONHD(0): RHDDRIPreInit: Version check failed. Disabling DRI.
                      I'm not sure what that message implies; probably best to post to the radeonhd mailing list. I believe you need to subscribe first; instructions at :

For radeonhd, you would subscribe by sending email to radeonhd+subscribe at opensuse.org
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X