Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Graphics Responds About Linux Support

Phoronix: S3 Graphics Responds About Linux Support

Last week S3 Graphics had released the Chrome 540 GTX, which is their newest and fastest PCI Express graphics card. Similar to when announcing the S3 Chrome 540 GT, in the Chrome 540 GTX press release they once again mention Linux support along with OpenGL 3.0 capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just days after the previous news item was posted on Slashdot front page, the plot thickens..

Comment

For me looks like S3 try to kidding his next customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        For me looks like S3 try to kidding his next customers.
        Seems like they're pulling an Epic to me too -- "Here, buy our new UT game, the linux binary is coming out real soon, we promise!".

Comment

I don't know who will buy that card. It is not really much cheaper than something from Nvidia or ATI and you can expect that the driver is not really optimized, not even for Win. All VIA/S3 chips before are lowend (onboard mostly) chips, nothing really worth to talk about.

Comment

Is this the same S3 of the S3 Virge fame?

Comment

Ooh boy. First false advertising, now possible GPL violation (copyright infringement).

S3's in for a world of pain.

Comment

Depends, only if they kernel module code uses precompiled parts, then the GPL flag would be wrong. Check for .o files. For the Xorg driver you don't need to use GPL code at all.

Comment

What I understand from the article is that they're releasing a binary kernel module, no source, and labelling it GPLed to get around the kernel build scripts that check for licence compliance. If memory serves me right there's kernel devs who take things like this very seriously.

Comment

yep if its labeled as GPL in the module and they aren't distributing the source for the binary then they are in for a world of hurt

cause a binary driver without the source should cause "tainted kernel" logs they aren't serious just notifying kernel devs that you are running a kernel that isn't worth debugging XD

Comment

Working...
                    X