No announcement yet.

fglrx, 64bit linux and sb600 dma issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@bridgman: P.S. My mobo is ASRock ALiveXFire-eSATA2 (AMD 480X Crossfire + SB600, so its all AMD? ), just in case you could persuade ASRock to issue a fixed BIOS release. Tnx
    Last edited by Kizo; 19 February 2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
      well, there is a reason why I made sure that my mobo does not have a sb600 when I was looking around for a new one
      Probably nothing to do with graphics drivers though, right ? The graphics drivers don't use any SB resources AFAIK.
      Test signature

Comment

@energyman: LOL ... Well it looked ok when I was bying it, + then I had only 2GB of ram and the world was a happier place to live in.

Comment

Well, I have the A770Crossfire from Asrock. 770 chipset + SB700. When I run into a usb bug (usb2+usb1.1 devices with only ehci driver loaded makes usb bus lock up), amd dev on lkml said that this bug should be fixed in bios - and provided a patch for ehci in case bios was not fixed (I was very satisfied, the amd guys reacted fast and their fix works very well for me!). So Asrock pumps out bios' even for their elderly mobos - but they don't incorporate fixes. ....

I learnt in the past that hardware problems caused by wired hardware bugs are a good thing to report on lkml. Of course stuff that is only reproducable with cs drivers will be shut down quickly. ...

Comment

Ugh...

Ugh.... I've been pulling my hair out for the better part of a week on this one. I too am running the SB600 SouthBridge on an MSI motherboard. Been chasing every combination of methods to install the latest / previous Catalyst drivers, only to end up with a backtrace at then of my Xorg logs or segfaults when running openGL stuff. I've got 4GB of memory in the box (AMD64), and running 2.6.27. After reading this post, I added mem=2048M to my boot options, and BAM... everything is working.

This is a set-top / mediacenter box, so the 4GB is way overkill, I just bought it because it was cheap.

I definitely appreciate you taking the time to report this issue in such detail. I would definitely count this in the "workaround" category, and not a solution, but I'm glad to be up and running again.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Probably nothing to do with graphics drivers though, right ? The graphics drivers don't use any SB resources AFAIK.
              not ressources - but maybe the drivers set up a mem region and trample on the SB600's toes?

Comment

Originally posted by bjoneson View Post
                Ugh.... I've been pulling my hair out for the better part of a week on this one. I too am running the SB600 SouthBridge on an MSI motherboard. Been chasing every combination of methods to install the latest / previous Catalyst drivers, only to end up with a backtrace at then of my Xorg logs or segfaults when running openGL stuff. I've got 4GB of memory in the box (AMD64), and running 2.6.27. After reading this post, I added mem=2048M to my boot options, and BAM... everything is working.

This is a set-top / mediacenter box, so the 4GB is way overkill, I just bought it because it was cheap.

I definitely appreciate you taking the time to report this issue in such detail. I would definitely count this in the "workaround" category, and not a solution, but I'm glad to be up and running again.
                If you have MSI there is a good chance that you hava an option in the BIOS called "Memory Remapping" or "Memory Hole" or something like that (I don't have it on my ASRock). Try enabling that option with 4GB of ram, it might fix the issue.
                Cheers.

P.S. @energyman: good to know that info about your usb problem, tnx

Comment

hey kizo bridgman and all who reading this thread i think my thread is also very near on your prob take a look maybe we find an answer

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

Working...
                  X