• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another: No screens found

Hi all,

I have two video-cards in my computer:
    Code:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3450
    I have the following monitors attached:
    Code:
    HD3450 --> LG Studioworks 700S
    HD3300 ---> Samsung T200
            \---> BenQ FP547
    When I start Xorg with the following:
    Code:
    Xorg -layout seat1
    I get an error:
    Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    You can find my Xorg.0.log here and my xorg.conf here.

If I set the HD3450 as first device (by disabling the onboard HD3300 in my BIOS) it works perfectly fine. What's going on?

In your xorg log the 3300 was still the primary device, but the monitor it was trying to light up was on the 3450. I don't know the details, but IIRC the secondary card (3450) needs to be handled differently in order to access the BIOS etc...

Looks like the 3300 was primary but the driver was trying to light up the 3450 as if *it* was primary and the driver couldn't find the BIOS image as a result.

Not sure what to recommend right now but will investigate a bit.
    Test signature

Comment

Thank you. If I run Xorg like this..
      Code:
      Xorg -layout seat1 -isolateDevice PCI:2:0:0
      .. my Xorg.0.log changes. In the log there isn't any sign of the HD3300, yet it refuses to light up the display.

Comment

Yeah... I think the problem there is that telling Xorg to ignore one GPU doesn't make the other GPU primary (since that decision is made at POST time IIRC).

This is a bit of a specialized scenario; probably the best thing would be to subscribe and post to the radeonhd mailing list.
        Last edited by bridgman; 17 February 2009, 10:21 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Hmm, I've never worked with mailinglists before. So I subscribed:
          Welcome! You have been subscribed to the

[email protected]

mailinglist.
          And send an email explaining my problem to [email protected]. Is this the way it should be done?

Comment

My experience with this hardware is that OPTION "HPD" "swap" or OPTION "HPD" "off" was required in the driver section to control which output is used.

You may have you monitor on the alternate output.

This OPTION was added to resolve hardware output issues. I beleive it will be dropped once they get enough hardware data.

Comment

Thank you. I'm going to try that. Did you mean the device section, btw?

Edit: It doesn't work . I even swapped the cable (to a DVI connector), but still it wouldn't come up..
              Last edited by MartjeB; 17 February 2009, 11:53 AM.

Comment

I don't think your issue is related to display detection. There are some issues reading BIOS from the secondary display adapter.

If you send an email summarizing the situation, with links to pastebin'ed log and conf files, that should be fine. Offer to create a bugzilla ticket if the devs would prefer that.
                Test signature

Comment

Just after I mailed mailed my problem I discovered this was reported just yesterday! Let's hope they fix this ASAP.

Comment

Martje has
                    (II) RADEONHD(0): Unknown card detected: 0x95C5:0x1043:0x01F4

I have a PowerColor AX3450 256MD2
                    (II) RADEONHD(0): Unknown card detected: 0x95C5:0x1787:0x2252.
                    This was a message I got prior to x-server 1.6.0 rc2. I sent the info to [email protected] as per the Xorg.0.log and got an email back "what is this for".

We both are using x-server 1.5.902 (1.6.0 rc2) and radeonhd 1.2.4

I have stripped my /etc/X11/xorg.conf to the minimum.

When the first version of the above software came out in Jaunty Alpha 4 everything worked for me except for some quirky layout issues with xrandr on my two monitors. The bios was detected properly unlike Martje's case.

With the Jaunty Alpha 4 update of one week ago both VGA and DVI outputs became tied together (i.e. any xrandr --output changes both outputs at the same time).

Looking at Xorg.0.log now gives a warning that OPTION HPD is not used.

What I would like to know is what is the current roadmap for radeonhd versus radeon as I read that Xorg was thinking of merging them.

It is frustrating for me in the last week or so to have my second monitor unusable.
                    Last edited by Blue Beard; 18 February 2009, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X