Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyan Thunder n6650EX (S4992)

Phoronix: Tyan Thunder n6650EX (S4992)

Tyan, a long-time supporter of Phoronix and a manufacturer of many leading workstation/server-oriented motherboards, recently sent out their Thunder n6650EX motherboard. This motherboard is a slight redesign of their earlier Thunder n6550EX product, but with out of the box support for AMD's 45nm Opteron CPUs. The Thunder n6650EX is capable of handling four quad-core processors, up to 128GB of ECC Registered DDR2 system memory, dual PCI Express x16, and six Serial ATA 2.0 ports. In this article we are offering a preview of the Tyan Thunder n6650EX (S4992).

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4x4 is here.

This is pretty cool. Didn't see this at the link Micheal suggested, but did see the two CPU solution. The pricing is similar to the high end gaming platforms, and you get so much more with this solution, but is the gaming similar? What does ECC memory do to performance? I'll probably build a virtual platform with my next build, and ECC memory is probably a very good idea.

Saw Phoronix mentioned at The INQ. See here.

Thanks all!

Be real, be sober.

Comment

The review only covers the motherboard itself. Do you have some AMD Opteron 8300 on the way to test the Tuan n6650ex ?
      It's a shame that motherboard does not support two 2300 :-/

Comment

Originally posted by Erik_ View Post
        The review only covers the motherboard itself. Do you have some AMD Opteron 8300 on the way to test the Tuan n6650ex ?
        It's a shame that motherboard does not support two 2300 :-/
        AMD 2xxx series processors will only work in 2-socket motherboards.

I too am curious to see how this motherboard compares to SuperMicro's offering.

I would also like to see what kind of performance boost one gets from the 800 MHz RAM, as opposed to the 667 MHz RAM that has been standard on motherboards like this.

They might need an armed guard on hand for benchmarking, this motherboard stuffed with parts will be worth a fortune!

Comment

It so happens... HP DL785 G5 (8x8384)

It so happens that I had the opportunity to play with an HP DL785 G5 server this weekend. The HP DL785 G5 came with 8x AMD Opteron 8384 (@2.7GHz) and 256GB of HP Memory.

I ran the memtest86+ benchmark on it and the result is as follow : HP DL785 G5 with 256GB memtest86+

I also ran the universe-cli PTS benchmark on it. And the results can be seen on the following URL. PTS Universe-cli on HP DL785 G5

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Erik_ View Post
            It so happens that I had the opportunity to play with an HP DL785 G5 server this weekend. The HP DL785 G5 came with 8x AMD Opteron 8384 (@2.7GHz) and 256GB of HP Memory.

I ran the memtest86+ benchmark on it and the result is as follow : HP DL785 G5 with 256GB memtest86+

I also ran the universe-cli PTS benchmark on it. And the results can be seen on the following URL. PTS Universe-cli on HP DL785 G5

Erik
            That is a seriously bad-ass machine.

My goodness, you are overclocking 667 MHz RAM to 900 MHz! What brand?

How much does the system cost, and how loud is it?

Comment

Working...
            X