Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel TTM Officially Dies, Code Stripped Away In Mesa

Phoronix: TTM Officially Dies, Code Striped Away In Mesa

TTM, or Translation Table Maps, the memory manager developed by Tungsten Graphics, is now dead. TTM has been dwindling away since last year when Intel introduced the Graphics Execution Manager (which has since entered the mainline Linux kernel), but now the code for this memory manager has been dropped from Mesa and its Intel driver. The Intel Linux graphics stack has migrated entirely to using GEM instead of TTM, while other open-source drivers are using a combination of the GEM API with some TTM code (a GEM-ified TTM manager)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

s/striped/stripped/g

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      s/striped/stripped/g
      Oops, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So, what does this mean for non-Intel drivers? The ones using a GEM-ified TTM. Does that mean TTM code will move into the individual drivers?

Comment

So, what now? Will a replacement be made? Will everyone now move entirely to GEM?

Comment

I believe this commit removed TTM-related code from the Intel Gallium3D driver tree in Mesa, and should not affect other drivers.
            Test signature

Comment

Ah, thanks, bridgman.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: TTM Officially Dies, Code Striped Away In Mesa

TTM, or Translation Table Maps, the memory manager developed by Tungsten Graphics, is now dead.
                This is a new low in Phoronix sensationalism. Did you forget about your own articles about the nouveau, radeon and via drivers using TTM?

Comment

If I understand correctly, GEM is a memory manager API while TTM works behind the scenes in most of the free drivers these days. Since Intel removed the last trace of TTM from their driver, what are they using instead?

Does it have a name? How does it differ from TTM? Or have I misunderstood and Intel is using a "GEM memory manager"?

Comment

Originally posted by Culex View Post
                    If I understand correctly, GEM is a memory manager API while TTM works behind the scenes in most of the free drivers these days. Since Intel removed the last trace of TTM from their driver, what are they using instead?

Does it have a name? How does it differ from TTM? Or have I misunderstood and Intel is using a "GEM memory manager"?
                    Intel uses GEM fully, other drivers use a mix

Comment

Working...
                    X