Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Graphics Still Talks Up Linux Support, But Fails

Phoronix: S3 Graphics Still Talks Up Linux Support, But Fails

S3 Graphics has announced this afternoon the release of the Chrome 540 GTX, which they advertise as "The World's Most Connected Hi-Def Card" with its HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI connections. The Chrome 540 GTX runs at 850MHz, uses GDDR3 memory, and shares other features to the Chrome 530 GT that was introduced in the fourth quarter of 2008...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

1. Produce GPU
    2. Do shitty graphics drivers for windows, and no drivers for linux
    3. Compete against big gpu makers that have decent drivers, and support linux (and even publish specs, like AMD/ATI)
    4. ????
    5. How the hell do they expect this item to be "profit"!?

Comment

Can they get sued for false advertising like this? I guess it varies with country...

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
        Can they get sued for false advertising like this? I guess it varies with country...
        I think they can be sued. You can't say your product does something it doesn't.

Anyways, "is there finally a driver? Nope." . Thise sentance made me have a nice day

Comment

stuff like this should warrant a fine of an entire years profit, that way, it might make them think twice about announcing such things..

Comment

This *news* shouldn't even have a place in Phoronix. Nobody expects any graphics from s3 or s10000 or whatever - for that matter anyone except Nvidia, Ati or at last Intel. If anyone is pissed, it should be Linus for s3's cheap use of his trademark. But seriously, as [Knuckles] put it, why do it at first place? Somebody put this up at failblog.org .

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
              stuff like this should warrant a fine of an entire years profit, that way, it might make them think twice about announcing such things..
              Do they make a profit from their crappy products?

Comment

It's confusing that this thread is in the VIA-section of the forum. In fact it is (or will be) just another (probably) bad closed source driver.

Comment

Working...
                X