NVIDIA Pushes Out Another Binary Driver Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hdas View Post
    @ Med_: i understand your frustration, but this is not constructive. i have myself seen kde slowness, but i have seen things improve and wrinkles get ironed out over the time with very honest efforts from both nvidia and the kde team. i am using ubuntu 8.10 with kde 4.2 from kubuntu-experimental repo - 3d effects are smoother than compiz and 2d is good too. in any case, try to at least describe the problem you are facing.
    Not constructive? KDE 4 is simply not usable at all with the nvidia driver. Konsole takes several seconds display when minised. The effects run at 2 to 3 fps. Moving windows is extremely shaky. My underpowered netbook with a crappy intel 945GM runs KDE 4 much, *much* better than my core 2 duo laptop with the nvidia NVS 135M. NVidia cannot not be aware of the problem, it is so blatant with integrated graphics cards (and on geforce 6xxx but that is another story).

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
      So you're going to recommend ATI cards? Epic fail.
      ATI plays the opensource game (partially at least) releasing docs to make Free drivers and their binary driver runs KDE 4 perfectly. Intel shows decent performance with KDE 4 too. So far NVidia has caused me the most headaches and they seem to be very unwilling to fix their driver. Let's face it, if they have not fixed it after 1 year, they will never fix it. Ah, the joys to closed drivers …

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
        ATI plays the opensource game (partially at least) releasing docs to make Free drivers and their binary driver runs KDE 4 perfectly. Intel shows decent performance with KDE 4 too. So far NVidia has caused me the most headaches and they seem to be very unwilling to fix their driver. Let's face it, if they have not fixed it after 1 year, they will never fix it. Ah, the joys to closed drivers …

Welcome to NVIDIA's way of doing things. They are kindly inviting you to buy a new NVIDIA GPU, possible a Geforce 8 or 9.

That's exactly why I hate NVIDIA, I hate their company politics, I hate their confusing naming products to confuse user, and I hate there "small" bugs that tend to never be fixed. The result? Buy a new GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          Welcome to NVIDIA's way of doing things. They are kindly inviting you to buy a new NVIDIA GPU, possible a Geforce 8 or 9.

That's exactly why I hate NVIDIA, I hate their company politics, I hate their confusing naming products to confuse user, and I hate there "small" bugs that tend to never be fixed. The result? Buy a new GPU.
          What confusing names do you talk about? My brother's GeForce GTS 250, ehm I mean 9800GTX+ runs KDE4 fine. Well, the drivers before 180.27 at least, it frequently crashes since then.

Comment

And you use now 180.29? For me and others it fixed the AGP GART issue for GeForce 6 GPUs on first X start and one crash on a h264 movie which does now work with the current mplayer vdpau. The only bad thing is that -vo null -vc null -ao pcm seems to be broken with this mplayer snapshot.
            Last edited by Kano; 11 February 2009, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Good timing my old ATI Radeon 9600SE kicked the bucket...and I went out and bought an nVidia 6800 XT for my system. The 6800 blew the doors off the Radeon, and I am now a happy camper with nVidia.

Until AMD/ATI drastically improves their drivers I am going to stick with nVdia...but I might play with Intel chips too, if they ever decide to make a discrete graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post

The past couple of days we already noticed that NVIDIA is rebranding some of their products, they are not alone. the Catalyst 9.1 driver files show that ATI has 11

Comment

Do you think ATI does wants that you use their cards till end of time Well the ones I had died already. So at least the time to replace should not be that long

Comment

Yea and I would love to re-iterate what hax0r said. ATI might make a nice card and everything but their software (as far as I know in linux) is a joke.

Sure Nvidia might have issues with Kde4, but using an ATI card has always made linux a lot more complicated then it needs to be.

ATI has always thrown more curve-balls at me when I try to play games through wine. Look at any of the top ranking games in the wine appdb theres usually an ATI specific bug listed somewhere. Or someone commenting is having trouble playing the game and in their specs theres an ATI card.

ATI has its long standing problems also, they still can't get video playback to work with composite effects enabled. Not to mention the fact that everyone secretly hates the ccc..

What broke the camels back for me is the fact that you can run the windows version of folding at home (for nvidia cards) through wine. The idea has been mentioned for ATI but hasn't exactly seen the same response..

Don't get me wrong I don't hate ATI, I'm actually an AMD fanboy. I just see more pros to owning an Nvidia card when it comes to running linux.

I just bought an Nvidia GeForce 9800 Gt and can't wait till it gets here. (Although I do agree; Nvidia names are confusing as hell)

Probably won't look back at this post when I hit the "Submit Reply" button because it'll most likely burn in the fires of an angry ATI fanboy..

Comment

This thread is full of win. A lot of valid points are being brought to light.

A) Why hasn't phoronix included nvidia scores when benchmarking ati cards lately?
                      B) For every 1 semi-major bug in the nvidia blobs, there are EASILY 10+ in catalyst releases.

I just feel bad for people who decide to buy ati/amd gpus due to biased reviews that don't necessarily reflect the real world status of amd's linux hardware support. nvidia has always been the better option for the linux desktop and will be for at least some time to come.

This is coming from someone who consistantly owned mid to high end products from both companies until the past year or so where I couldn't be bothered to buy another ATi card that I knew wouldn't ever work quite right in linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X