Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use UDV2 to anything in linux yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use UDV2 to anything in linux yet?

Can I use UVD2 to render HD material yet? Or maybe this year? Or maybe ever?
    I have to choose what gfx card to buy and I would like to buy AMD card but I'm not sure that do I get only paperweight.

I'm deciding between HD 4670 and Geforce 9500 GT which has vpdau and other great stuff.

atm I'm using HD 3200 which has not yet given much joy

I don't think you can do anything with UVD under Linux yet, but chances seem good for "this year".

What kind of issues are you having with your 780/HD3200 ? Do you feel up to giving the open drivers a try ? Right now they have decent accelerated video playback and EXA acceleration, but no 3D yet.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I don't think you can do anything with UVD under Linux yet, but chances seem good for "this year".

What kind of issues are you having with your 780/HD3200 ? Do you feel up to giving the open drivers a try ? Right now they have decent accelerated video playback and EXA acceleration, but no 3D yet.
      Actually I don't remember at the moment what issues I had.
      Need to reinstall Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit tomorrow and find out.

I haven't tested it with EXA acceleration. Is it already stable for HD 3200?

Comment

No, it's not stable for th HD3200 yet, but they need testers to find bugs right now

Comment

Current situation seems to be that acceleration is stable on most chips for most users. A few users are reporting problems with radeonhd on 4-pipe chips (610, 620, 780) but radeon (aka -ati) works for them, while other users are reporting problems with rv770 on radeon but radeonhd works for *those* users. Go figure.

The two drivers have the same acceleration code and both drivers run with the same 6xx-7xx branch of drm. Go figure.

Something obviously has to be different but we haven't found it yet.

Please start with radeonhd and let us know what happens. If you run into problems, it would be good to know if they also occur with radeon.
          Last edited by bridgman; 10 February 2009, 06:18 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

A 9500 GT is a bad choice, minimum would be 9600 GT or something with higher number, 9500 GT is really slow when you want to play games. If you don't need games then a 8400 GS or 9300 would do.

Comment

I have Asus HD4670. His power is very good and use low watt. But this card play videos with tears.UVD2 not work in Linux.

Drivers RadeonHD and fglrx need more time.

I not test nvidia 9600 but VPDAU work very very well.

Comment

Working...
              X