Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel On Rebuilding The X.Org Linux Desktop

Phoronix: Intel On Rebuilding The X.Org Linux Desktop

At FOSDEM 2009 in Keith Packard's talk on the rebuilt Linux desktop, he shared the progress made in composited 3D, monitor auto-plugging, 2D/3D/media shared objects, kernel mode-setting, and kernel-based 2D drawing. Allowing these problems to be addressed was the Graphics Execution Manager for kernel memory management. The Graphics Execution Manager was used instead of TTM (which we talked about several times before at Phoron

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This blip.tv-Flash-crap sucks; why cannot we have a free video format, or at least MPEG4, via ordinary HTTP/FTP/younameit?

Comment

My ears bleed.

Comment

Originally posted by colo View Post
        This blip.tv-Flash-crap sucks; why cannot we have a free video format, or at least MPEG4, via ordinary HTTP/FTP/younameit?
        Because I want to click and view without prior setup of voodoo.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Because I want to click and view without prior setup of voodoo.
          for many people setting up flash under Linux is a voodoo

Comment

blip.tv allows you to download the original files too.

As an nvidia user, I am wondering what exactly are they rebuilding. Fixing their drivers so that similarly specced hardware can perform the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
              As an nvidia user, I am wondering what exactly are they rebuilding. Fixing their drivers so that similarly specced hardware can perform the same?
              Fixing the whole architecture. NVidia performs as well as they do because they invented their own stuff instead of using the archaic and broken X.Org APIs.

Comment

Sound is broken for Eric's talk...

Comment

Ahh. Experience with gtk/cairo/pango vs qt's homemade stuff tells me that this is the good way to go. I hope this improves well enough then for nvidia to switch over.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                    blip.tv allows you to download the original files too.
                    Good to know! This in not normal. I found the links, thanks. If anyone wants, I can create torrent files for the videos.

edit: don't know how and why this post appears in this thread, but it applies here, too. So anyway...
                    Last edited by bugmenot; 09 February 2009, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X