Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Shanghai Opteron: Linux vs. OpenSolaris Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Shanghai Opteron: Linux vs. OpenSolaris Benchmarks

In January we published a review of the AMD Shanghai Opteron CPUs on Linux when we looked at four of the Opteron 2384 models. The performance of these 45nm quad-core workstation/server processors were great when compared to the earlier AMD Barcelona processors on Ubuntu Linux, but how is their performance when running Sun's OpenSolaris operating system? Up for viewing today are dual AMD Shanghai benchmarks when running OpenSolaris 2008.11, Ubuntu 8.10, and a daily build of the forthcoming Ubuntu 9.04 release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu Linux whoops some Solaris behind

If I were Sun I would be ashamed. Not just because Ubuntu Linux beats them in every single test except Bork, but because they're still wasting their resources (ie. shareholder's money) by continuing to develop OpenSolaris. Sun should just license it GPLv2 and work to port the best features (ZFS and DTrace) to Linux.
    Last edited by stan; 09 February 2009, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Firstly, agree wholeheartedly with first comment; secondly, with sunflow on page 6, you made an error in your summary. Fewer seconds are better. You said OSOL came in first, but it came in last.

"OpenSolaris 2008.11 finally took a first place finish with the Sunflow Rendering System. Sunflow is the first Java powered test in this article. OpenSolaris was slightly in front of Ubuntu 8.10 followed by Ubuntu 9.04, which seems to have regressed with its Java performance."

should be something like

"OpenSolaris 2008.11 took another beating with the Sunflow Rendering System. It trailed behind Ubuntu 8.10, while Ubuntu 9.04 stomped them both."

Comment

I agree they should be ashamed, but I disagree with just porting everything to the Linux kernel. Competition is good, and I see nothing good happening if Sun just ports everything to the Linux kernel. One kernel means less competition between the different OS and less likely hood that we will have technologies that we say "Hey why doesn't Linux have that. Sun was able to do that and why can't we?". Yes there may be some repetition, but at least there will always be something to look at and admire about the other OS.

Comment

Originally posted by sc3252 View Post
          I agree they should be ashamed, but I disagree with just porting everything to the Linux kernel. Competition is good, and I see nothing good happening if Sun just ports everything to the Linux kernel. One kernel means less competition between the different OS and less likely hood that we will have technologies that we say "Hey why doesn't Linux have that. Sun was able to do that and why can't we?". Yes there may be some repetition, but at least there will always be something to look at and admire about the other OS.
          The biggest disadvantage to multiple kernels is that the engineering effort is split. There's no reason why Sun can't channel their innovation through Linux (and they're doing that to a certain extent by hiring Yinghai Lu, formerly of AMD, to work on Linux). But as it stands, the CDDL is a roadblock to Linux developers incorporating that innovation.

There are some gems in OpenSolaris, but given that hardware drivers for it are few and far between, users like myself can't readily take advantage of them on commodity hardware. That's why having those features in Linux, which already runs well on cheap hardware, would be awesome.

Comment

Fake GPL spirit

Moreover OpenSolaris is on GPL, but on a fake GPL spirit.
            Indeed, unlike the FSF, Sun is not a non-profit foundation with very clear guidelines. The FSF has the intend to make the open source version of a piece of software, *the* best version that Sun has no intend to do since there is Solaris, a proprietary fork.
            Indeed since you have to surrender your rights to Sun if you contribute to OpenSolaris, compared to Linux, a real hacker with the GPL spirit would not take the risk (which is quite high on medium/long term). Even if Sun decided to make a foundation and give up its proprietary forks, I don't think that will attract people to create a real community spirit like the one on Linux. Actually, the best thing to do for Sun would be to drop OpenSolaris and to go full steam Linux.

Comment

What do you mean by "Ubuntu 9.04 results were not available for this run" in the SQLite test? An error? A missing package? This should be explained.

Comment

Unix is dieing

Unix is dieing undoubtedly. Why does the stupid Sun maintain the OpenSolaris? Linux has the best kernel on the planet, even comparing to any commercial ones(Windows,OSX,Unix).

The only thing, I think, needs to be improved in Linux, which is multimedia and hardware accelerate support. Especially, the old XWindow system.

BTW, the ZFS is just wasted in Unix,I suggest to put GPL on it.

Comment

Wow, opensolaris really got beaten

Comment

Please stop spreading FUD about OpenSolaris. You have no idea, why it was slower in these benchmarks, and I doubt that you would say the things you're saying, if you knew that. Its feature set is unique and extremely powerful. There is a price one has to pay for powerful features. Also, giving advices to Sun is ridiculous. Sun has been able to create innovative operating system, and what achievements are you proud of?

Sounds like a primitive fanboyism. I don't think the Linux community benefits from such adepts.
                    Last edited by flice; 09 February 2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X