Problems with Phenom II X4 940 and Biostar 790GXA2+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Phenom II X4 940 and Biostar 790GXA2+

I've always been a huge AMD advocate. I always buy all AMD, but honestly I think I may done with AMD at this point.

I drop $1,200 on parts for a new rig. I open the parts, and I don't get any case badges from AMD/ATI. This is a small thing, but as an AMD fan I always loved showing off my case badges with pride. NewEgg told me to contact AMD, which I did two weeks ago with no response. Are they cutting back on case badges to save money? Secretly I had even dared to hope that people who bought all three components in a Dragon platform setup at once would even get a Dragon platform case badge. I got none at all. This is the first time in my life that a retail proc didn't come with one. It is one of the reasons I don't order the OEM version.

I ordered an 1GB ATI HD Radeon 4850, except it was DOA. Fans didn't spin, didn't power on, no video. I tried another PCI-X card in the slot to make sure it got power from the power supply with the connector, and to make sure I got video. It was fine.

However, I have onboard video, so I RMA the video card and move forward. Next, I had my Biostar 790GX A2+ Mobo, and my Phenom II X4 proc. BIOS recognizes the proc. It is running cool and it makes it through post. I throw in the Windows 7 DVD I've used on two other computers. It loads EXTREMELY slow, and then BSOD. I repeat about 15 times, each time with a BSOD. I run memtest for four hours, and no problems. I'm on stock BIOS settings.

I upgrade the BIOS, and still BSOD. I burn a new Windows 7 DVD, and again BSOD.

Okay, well let's try Windows x64. BSOD after BSOD. I can't even get to selecting m HDD.

I try Windows XP, and BSOD after BSOD. I try Vista (shudder) and I get BSOD after BSOD.

I try openSUSE 11.1, 11.0 and 10.3, and all immediately lock up even before I can try to look at verbose kernel output.

I try every live CD or diagnostic CD I can find. Most don't come anywhere near close to booting. I did actually manage to boot into an old Hirem Boot CD, and all the ancient diagnostics I can run say all my hardware passes, but it can only test 1 core of my CPU, which makes me wonder if the problem is another core. Post is probably only requiring the first core.

I did get a Bart PE CD to load all the way into a Windows shell, but there are no chipset drivers so I really can't do much to diagnose the PC from there.

I've yanked memory and run one stick at a time. I've run memtest over and over again. I have no PCI cards loaded at all, and no extra components. The problem is either mobo or CPU. Except I don't know how to diagnose which it is at this point. I've been fighting with the box for over a week and at this point I think I may just return the mobo and proc, and build an Intel rig.

However, I decided I would make a last ditch effort and call tech support, except AMD has no tech support on the weekends. As a lifetime IT guy, I hate calling tech support and trying to explain yourself to someone who doesn't understand what you're talking about, yet refuses to pass you on to a level 2 guy for the first hour.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions at all, or knows of a diagnostic utility I can run to test the CPU.

I don't see how it matters that it's AMD. No matter what the brand is, if it doesn't work, you send it back. I did that with Intel.

Comment

Sounds like a buggy mobo or CPU...better RMA the mobo first

Comment

What gets me is that of the three major components (CPU, GPU and mobo) all three have their silicon made by AMD. At least two were bad.

Comment

Except for the CPU, I have the same set up and mine is blazing.

Comment

Working...
          X