Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Alpha 4 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Alpha 4 Released

Not only did Fedora 11 Alpha make it out the door today, but so did the fourth alpha release for Ubuntu 9.04 (the Jaunty Jackalope). Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 4 continues to build upon a bleeding-edge set of Linux packages (though still tracking the Linux 2.6.28 kernel) and has installation support for the EXT4 file-system and new notification capabilities.The announcement of Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 4 can be found on ubuntu-devel-announce...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Ubuntu bleeding edge?

I thought the only bleeding edge distribution was Fedora.

Comment

What does this font optimization really mean?

Better fonts for netbooks? Because I don't recall having font size issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        Is Ubuntu bleeding edge?

I thought the only bleeding edge distribution was Fedora.
        Ubuntu is often bleeding-edge at Alpha stage, but by release time it's more like "progressive". The same could probably be said for some other distros.

Fedora is often bleeding edge at release as well.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
          What does this font optimization really mean?

Better fonts for netbooks? Because I don't recall having font size issues.
          It means that text will have the same size regardless of your monitor's dimensions and resolution. 1920x1200 resolution on a 15.4'' laptop? No problem! Your text will have the same size as on a 1280x800 monitor, but it will be *much* more readable (cleaner outlines, fewer color artifacts, more accurate shapes).

Try the same on Windows, or older versions of Ubuntu for that matter, and text will be unreadably small at 96DPI.

If this works as advertized, and if it also affects icons, window size, etc, Ubuntu will be the first distribution shipping with true resolution independence out of the box! Not even MacOS has managed to do that yet (and Windows are far behind in that regard).
          Last edited by BlackStar; 05 February 2009, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            It means that text will have the same size regardless of your monitor's dimensions and resolution. 1920x1200 resolution on a 15.4'' laptop? No problem! Your text will have the same size as on a 1280x800 monitor, but it will be *much* more readable (cleaner outlines, fewer color artifacts, more accurate shapes).
            Finally!!! I've been "waiting" for this for _years_ (maybe 5?) for my 1920x1200 15" laptop screen. What I do is manually boost fonts size.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            [...], and text will be unreadably small at 96DPI.
            Not 96 dpi, 146!!! Even more unreadable.

Text is nice and crisp you can't even imagine. 1920x1200 is a higher resolution then 50" HD tv, but on a 15.4" monitor!

Comment

How do they know which DPI configuration is the best for the resolution being used?

And also which is the best counts per inch of a mouse using a specific resolution, could this be messed?

Comment

It would be nice if either it installed properly, or if someone were reading the bug reports of it no installing properly:
                Binary package hint: ubiquity Hardware: Dell Inspiron E1505 w/ ATI X1400 video, 2GB RAM Software: Kubuntu 9.04 alpha3 desktop disc (properly burned) When the LiveCD is loading, both from "Try Without Changes" and from "Install", after the Kubuntu splash screen the boot stops. The screen remains blank, and after two minutes I can hear the disc drive spin down. There is also no hard drive activity at this time. I can let the machine sit like this overnight and nothing changes. I could not fi...

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                  How do they know which DPI configuration is the best for the resolution being used?

And also which is the best counts per inch of a mouse using a specific resolution, could this be messed?
                  It uses EDID information from the monitor I believe. In my experience, this has always been flawless with LCD monitors, but I have had a lot of problems with DPI, refresh rate and resolution settings on some CRTs.

Comment

Working...
                  X