Flickering video on Asus motherboard with ATI video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flickering video on Asus motherboard with ATI video

I have Kubuntu 8.10 installed on a machine with an ASUS motherboard, onboard ATI graphics:

The system graphics seem very sluggish (switching photos in digikam is slow) and video flickers. Running "aticonfig --initial" helped somewhat, but not completely. I am using the proprietary fglrx driver. Opening the Proprietary Drivers windows informs me that the machine is using "a different version" of the driver, for what that's worth. Looking in Adept, I have the only version available, installed.

What can I do to start troubleshooting this issue? Thanks.

Please dump your Xorg.0.log file on pastebin and link it here so we can see what driver is being loaded and if it is configured correctly.

Comment

Thanks, here it is:
      Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

That looks like your config file - could you also paste your log file ?

Probably in /var/log/
        Test signature

Comment

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

Comment

Sorry, I should have read slower:
            Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

OK, looks like you are running the version of fglrx that came with *ubuntu 8.10, and it seems to have come up OK on your HD3200/780 GPU.

That driver version will flicker when playing videos under Compiz (ie with full Desktop Effects); the latest version (9.1) fixes the flicker but may still have some other issues when playing video under Compiz.

Here are some options :

1. Turning Desktop Effects off should get rid of the video flicker and may help performance with other apps. That's the first and easiest thing to try. It's System=>Preferences=>Appearance then rightmost tab on Ubuntu, not sure if Kubuntu is the same there.

2. If you want to keep Desktop Effects enabled and keep the current driver and be able to play videos without flicker, try changing the "Unredirect Full Screen Windows" checkbox in the General Options of the CompizConfig Settings Manager (you might have to download this package). With the right setting (I don't remember if that's checked or unchecked) games and videos will not flicker in full screen mode.

3. You can download and install the latest driver which will address the flickering video but you will still have flickering with 3D apps.
              Test signature

Comment

Thanks. I disabled the desktop effects (System Settings -> Desktop) and the video flicker is gone. Digikam still seems to be very slow in thumbnail placement, but there is a recently resolved bug in bugzilla on the issue, and I'm not using the 0.9.x version:

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  [SNIP]
                  2. If you want to keep Desktop Effects enabled and keep the current driver and be able to play videos without flicker, try changing the "Unredirect Full Screen Windows" checkbox in the General Options of the CompizConfig Settings Manager (you might have to download this package). With the right setting (I don't remember if that's checked or unchecked) games and videos will not flicker in full screen mode.

3. You can download and install the latest driver which will address the flickering video but you will still have flickering with 3D apps.
                  Does "flickering" include the "video-allways-on-top" issue? So what about newest drivers and the "Unredirect Full Screen Windows" checkbox? I'm not at home, can't try myself.

EDIT: Video works with 9.1 and Desktop Effects enabled. fgl_glxgears is flickering minimal.
                  Last edited by Spitfire; 04 February 2009, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X