Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intrepid + Flash + Radeon 3450 = no sound (from flash)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrepid + Flash + Radeon 3450 = no sound (from flash)

Ok, this is a long shot... and this is not an nvidia vs ati thing.. I bought ATI b/c of an nvidia bug with my 8200 IGP....

So I _had_ Flash audio working over HDMI with my nVidia 8200 IGP (but miserable video performance b/c of the bug in the nvidia driver for the 8200).

So I bought a Radeon 3450 and plugged it in.. got flgrx installed, booted, fought the battle to correct the crazy overscan defaults they picked (for a digital output, why??, and then not include overscan controls in the linux CCC?!?).. anyway I thought I was good.

Alsa 1.0.19, Ubuntu 8.10. I disabled onboard HDMI audio and HD audio, to remove my 8200 from the picture. "aplay -l" shows the ATI HDMI and nothing else (which is good, there should be nothing else to confuse things). I pick ATI HDMI in the System-Pref-Volume panel.

I run Amarok, Songbird, VLC, speaker-test, yes just about everything you can think of and sound works just fine over the ATI HDMI.

Just not from Flash (tried both Firefox with Flash 10.0.r15, and with Opera 9.6).

Audio was working fine over the nvidia HDMI for Flash.

My .asoundrc is
    pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 3
    }
    I know its thin, its hard to know where to point a finger, but looking for any advice, or to see if anyone can help me narrow it down.

Again, all other audio works just fine. And Flash audio worked via my 8200 HDMI.. the only "knob" I turned was adding the Radeon 3450.

thanks for any help,
    Mike

changing my .asoundrc to
    defaults.pcm.device 3
    somehow made everything happy.

Not sure why the previous works for nvidia HDMI and I needed this change for Radeon HDMI

What a lovely audio system we have

env vars FLASH_AUDIODEBUG and FLASH_FORCE_ALSA were also in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by zim2dive View Post
      What a lovely audio system we have
      That's why I switched to OSS4 the instant it was GPLed. Never looked back since.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        That's why I switched to OSS4 the instant it was GPLed. Never looked back since.
        hmm... looks interesting.. Not sure the HDMI audio on my 3450 is supported?? lspci says I have
        03:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx Series]
        and I have disabled on-board audio with my nvidia 8200 (MCP78)

I don't see either on the supported list?? http://manuals.opensound.com/devlists/Linux.html

Comment

Hmm, I think ALSA offers HDMI support through the Intel HDA driver. So OSS4 might also work with Intel HDA. But I guess it's better to ask over there about it. There's a forum at http://www.4front-tech.com/forum

Comment

Working...
          X