FGLRX Pixel Buffer support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I'm not following here. If WoW uses this extension, but the driver doesn't implement it, how on earth does it render correctly in Windows in the first place?
    Because the Windows driver most likely implements this feature, or because very few Windows users actually run the OpenGL client.

Comment

Oh, oh... Same thing i experianced when ATI droped support for pbuffers for my 9250 (2005 with 8.15 driver), with argument "it is hard to maintaining any further"... One year later my card was not supported anymore. The end. NVIDIA for compete and many years older chips have support even today! So, i just don't know when ATI think to stop
      playing like that with their users?

@sandain
      Here are some 'fgl_glxgears' screenshots from that time, with or w/o pbuffers driver support. I remember if that is good, wine use that and translate as wgl pbuffer. You can test this also if you think that driver lack pbuffers.

Comment

After playing around with the Wine code for a while, and getting no results, I decided to check how things performed in Windows. I am now back to believing this to be a bug on AMD's end. This bug also shows up in Windows when using the OpenGL client with WoW. I tested this with versions 8-6 and 9-1, with the same result.

Windows - OpenGL:

Wine - OpenGL

Wine - Direct3D

Note: Wine renders the Direct3d client the same as Windows. The OpenGL client works with Nvidia drivers on either platform.

Update: This bug has been fixed as of FGLRX 9-8. Thanks AMD!
        Last edited by sandain; 21 October 2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, this is fglrx bug. Games often uses pbuffers for map viewer, you can see that in Dungeon Siege 2 also.

P.S. But then, i think you have translated WGL_ARB_pbuffers (you can use 'glview' tool, to see if Wine exported that extension), because WoW DX client works good. So, if problem is only with opengl stack of wine's pbuffers, bug can be in both, but as you stated that opengl client
          run the same in windows, i think there is no hope with fglrx.
          Last edited by dungeon; 06 February 2009, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Might be a bogus message, not sure :

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Mac-.../msg00048.html
            Test signature

Comment

I know this is a somewhat old thread but i am experiencing the same problem as the original author (wow minimap all white indoors).

Now im using the 9.5 drivers and GLX_SGIX_pbuffer is exported both in the server and client side of GLX, fgl_glxgears works with no problem, so my question is basically is this then implemented now?

And if so then i suppose my problem is the WGL -> GLX wrapper in wine or perhaps the detection of the extension by wine?

Wine version is: 1.1.22 running on ubuntu 9.04

Comment

To answer my own question:
                Yes this seems to be implemented now.

No the problem is not with Wine, its with ATI's driver.
                It's supposed to include the extensions that are present in the driver in the "GLX extensions:" list which it doesn't.

Why the driver doesn't do this is another question which i don't have the answer to, seems stupid since its there both at client and server side.

/BR

Comment

Can you be a bit more precise about what is not working with the extension ? Maybe sample code or something ? I'm not clear how the extension can be "not implemented in the driver" if fgl_glxgears is working.

My understanding from the devs is that the extension was always implemented in the driver code (and worked in other OSes) but since it was only a standard extension in Windows the X binding was not added until recently.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 05 June 2009, 01:19 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

I did some research on this problem and got that freaking minimap working fine in World of Warcraft with Catalyst 9.5 on HD3870. The reason WINE do not export WGL_ARB_pbuffer is lack of GLX_SGIX_pbuffer in string returned by glXQueryExtensionsString() function. From what I've read this string should contain list of extensions that present in both client and server strings, and both client and server report this extension as available for me. It looks like driver bug to me, maybe minor one but leading to major ones in such programs like WINE.

If you want to check it by yourself comment this line
                    Code:
                    if ( (glxRequireVersion(3) && glxRequireExtension("GLX_SGIX_pbuffer")) || glxRequireExtension("GLX_ATI_render_texture"))
                    in dlls/winex11.drv/opengl.c and run some program that uses pbuffer functionality.

It is easy to write a check for this case using WineGLInfo.glxServerExtensions and WineGLInfo.glxClientExtensions but it would be ugly and won't be accepted by WINE developers.

Dear Mr. Bridgman, I know that you are not involved in fglrx development process but you can reach people who are. Please let them know that a lot of AMD customers would be very happy to see this long standing bug resolved.

Comment

I have updated bug #1303 and referenced your post.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X