Setting my refresh rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting my refresh rate

I've just gotten a new Radeon based card, and I've been totally unable to set my refresh rate properly. It's really baffling, because according to amdcccle, my monitor (Acer 1916W) is capable of 1440x900 with 75hz refresh, and it used to do that just fine with my old integrated NVidia solution. My new radeon, however, just won't work with that refresh rate.

Here is the section from xorg.conf:

PHP Code:
    Section "Monitor"

Identifier   "Monitor[0]"

VendorName   "ACR"

ModelName    "AL1916W"

UseModes     "Modes[0]"

DisplaySize  410        257
            HorizSync    30.0 
            VertRefresh  43.0 
            Option      
    "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"

Option      "DPMS"

Option      "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
    EndSection

Section 
    "Monitor"

Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"

VertRefresh  75.0 75.0
            Option      
    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"

Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"

Option      "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection 
    If I run amdcccle, the digital monitor shows up fine, as "AL1916W", with a maximum refresh of 75Hz. If I try to change it on the display manager portion of the control center, my only options are 60Hz and "preferred", which I suppose is code for 60Hz.

Any ideas?

Sorry to bump, but can anyone help?

Comment

Use xrandr
      It will list the available modes

Try to do
      Code:
      xrandr -s 1440x900 -r 75

Comment

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
        Use xrandr
        It will list the available modes

Try to do
        Code:
        xrandr -s 1440x900 -r 75
        I tried that, and the modes that xrandr are reporting are not jiving with reality, and are not what the old NVidia card could do.

Comment

I tried that, and the modes that xrandr are reporting are not jiving with reality, and are not what the old NVidia card could do.
          Perhaps you updated your system since your last card? Something might have
          changed with a newer xserver and it doesn't report your monitor info the same.

AFAIK the Nvidia and Ati drivers both use whatever modes they're told are
          available, so you can't expect fglrx to use a mode which isn't reported.

Comment

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
            Perhaps you updated your system since your last card? Something might have
            changed with a newer xserver and it doesn't report your monitor info the same.
            The only thing I did was to change the video card. I had been running the NVidia drivers last week and had the proper refresh rate. I swapped cards, installed the catalyst drivers, did the aticonfig --initial thing, and here I am with a broken refresh rate.

Comment

Working...
            X