Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL In Gallium3D By Summer

Phoronix: OpenCL In Gallium3D By Summer

Zack Rusin, one of the influential developers behind the Linux graphics scene, has blogged about OpenCL support in the free software stack. Just yesterday we talked about support for OpenCL in GCC, but Zack's work deals with implementing support for the Open Computing Language into the open-source X.Org drivers. With Gallium3D, which soon will enter Mesa's mainline code-base, the OpenCL support is relatively easy to come by through just programming a new state tracker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...the OpenCL support is relatively easy to come by through just programming a new state tracker.
    That kind of statement always makes me real nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
      That kind of statement always makes me real nervous.
      well
      the text says relative

Comment

Sounds too good to be true

But which drivers will use Gallium3D support by summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          Sounds too good to be true

But which drivers will use Gallium3D support by summer?
          i like to think ati

Comment

Also, which hardware it will be supported? R700 +1?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
              i like to think ati
              ATI is a good bet, isn't there already someone working on using LLVM as an ATI shader compiler? I think that would be all the card-specific code that would be needed.

Comment

But, will I have to upgrade my hd2600 to a newer (and expensive) card to get OpenCL?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  ATI is a good bet, isn't there already someone working on using LLVM as an ATI shader compiler? I think that would be all the card-specific code that would be needed.
                  mostawesomedude is working on the llvm for r300, but i dont know the status of it

Comment

Current thinking is that the open source drivers will use Gallium3D for 3xx and up. The R300 work MostAwesomeDude is doing should cover 3xx-5xx, and we plan to switch our 3D work on 6xx/7xx to Gallium3D once we have basic 3D up and running on those chips using the "classic" Mesa hw driver model.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X