Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get XV, DRI working on HD 3300 (rv620) ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't understand the comment about "KWin can't enable desktop effects". This is already working for a couple of KDE 4.x users. There is an "Advanced" button you need to click in order to reach the dialog where you can choose XRender.
    I know that. As I said None of the options in the "Advanced" tab make any difference. Choosing XRender and clicking Apply just gives "Can't enable desktop effects" error. It is the same With OpenGL mode. But if I check the "Disable functionality check" and choose Opengl, it enables Desktop effects but as it is in software rendering mode that I understand, none of the windows can repaint, the whole desktop turns grey. But it does't lock up becouse KWin reverts changes in about 10sn, because I cant click the keep changes button as it didn't painted on screen

@rahman.duran:
    Good to hear that accelleration support basically works on your machine! I too experience the slowness of scrolling but without screen corruptions. Well, there's at least no mess on my screen without the working drm module
    No there is no working Accelleration for me here, at least I can't call this messiness Acceleration Maybe I can upload a video to video.google.com then you can see how it works on my machine

Edit: I took some screenshots about the corruption.

This is what happens when you move windows around. This should explain how terribly slow window paintings are.

these are screenshots:

And this is my xorg.0.log
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.
    Last edited by rahman.duran; 03 February 2009, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schwarzygesetzlos View Post
      Hmm, seems my first posting with the pastebinned kernel output got lost... So here we try again

kernel dmesg output:
      http://pastebin.ch/961
      I don't see the radeon driver being loaded, it should say something like:

Code:
      [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
      pci 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
      pci 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
      [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613 on minor 0
      [drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded
      [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
      [drm] Loading RV630 CP Microcode
      [drm] Loading RV630 PFP Microcode
      [drm] Resetting GPU
      [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
      I did following procedure to install it:
      Code:
      git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm
      git checkout -b r6xx-r7xx-support origin/r6xx-r7xx-support
      cd drm/linux-core
      make
      cp drm.ko radeon.ko /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r8/kernel/drivers/gpu/
      depmod
      Ah, I think you didn't overwrite the old modules. drm.ko should be in /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r8/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm, while radeon.ko should be in /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r8/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon.
      Just to be sure you can rmmod the two modules (without X running) and load them from the compiled sources (using insmod); in this way you are sure to load the correct drivers
      If it's still not working check that your card is listed in shared-core/drm_pciids.txt (if you don't know how post the output of lspci -nn).

Hmm, I just had a thought that my errors have something to do with an outdated mesa? I am using mesa-7.2.
      Nope, ATM there's only the software renderer.

Comment

Originally posted by rahman.duran View Post
        Choosing XRender and clicking Apply just gives "Can't enable desktop effects" error. It is the same With OpenGL mode. But if I check the "Disable functionality check" and choose Opengl, it enables Desktop effects but as it is in software rendering mode
        Thanks; I'll try to play with the KDE settings here.

Just for completeness I have to ask.. is disabling functionality check and choosing XRender an option ?
        Test signature

Comment

@bridgman

I got an Ati HD3650 mobility.
          Any successhistories about running EXA and xv accelerated desktop with git version of radeonhd?

I'm very excited of this opensource driver, and would like to test it. But should I just use fglrx for now and wait? I have no idea of the current state of the r6xx/r7xx branch.

Comment

As of yesterday the 6xx-7xx open source code is still showing varying degrees of corruption when EXA Composite is enabled, but Xv seems to be pretty solid. Blits with overlapping src/dst areas have not been optimized, so scrolling and dragging are still slow unless you are running an EXA/XRender-based compositing desktop (metacity, KWin etc..). There are a number of people hanging out on #radeonhd who have successfully built and installed the drivers so if you want to give them a try you won't be alone.

It's still a pain moving back and forth from open source to fglrx so dual-booting would probably be a better option if you want to follow the progress of the open source drivers while still using fglrx.

I don't think we can say the drivers are ready for normal use yet, but they are getting pretty close and having at least a small number of people use them helps us to find and fix issues more quickly. Having developers (or even would-be developers) look at the code also helps; a number of problems have been found and fixed that way.
            Last edited by bridgman; 03 February 2009, 11:33 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by tettamanti View Post
              Ah, I think you didn't overwrite the old modules. drm.ko should be in /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r8/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm, while radeon.ko should be in /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r8/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon.
              Just to be sure you can rmmod the two modules (without X running) and load them from the compiled sources (using insmod); in this way you are sure to load the correct drivers
              If it's still not working check that your card is listed in shared-core/drm_pciids.txt (if you don't know how post the output of lspci -nn).
              Thanks for the input! That was one of my first thoughts too. But I recompiled the kernel completely without the DRM and RADEON module. So there was no gpu/ dir in the corresponding /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r8/ I created the gpu/ dir myself and simply copied the modules over. Of course did a depmod -a after that. Just to be sure:
              Code:
              yea 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 # cd /lib/modules/2.6.27-gentoo-r8/
              yea 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 # find -name 'drm.ko'
              ./kernel/drivers/gpu/drm.ko
              yea 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 # find -name 'radeon.ko'
              ./kernel/drivers/gpu/radeon.ko
              Here's my lspci -nn output:
              Code:
              yea 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 # lspci -nn
              00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge [1022:9600]
              00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:9602]
              00:0a.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 5) [1022:9609]
              00:11.0 SATA controller [0106]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1002:4391]
              00:12.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397]
              00:12.1 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller [1002:4398]
              00:12.2 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396]
              00:13.0 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397]
              00:13.1 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700 USB OHCI1 Controller [1002:4398]
              00:13.2 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396]
              00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller [1002:4385] (rev 3a)
              00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 IDE Controller [1002:439c]
              00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]
              00:14.3 ISA bridge [0601]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller [1002:439d]
              00:14.4 PCI bridge [0604]: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge [1002:4384]
              00:14.5 USB Controller [0c03]: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI2 Controller [1002:4399]
              00:18.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration [1022:1100]
              00:18.1 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map [1022:1101]
              00:18.2 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller [1022:1102]
              00:18.3 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control [1022:1103]
              01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3300 Graphics [1002:9614]
              As you suggested I looked up the ID of my HD 3300 in the database. Seems it's not listed ATM, only the older models:
              Code:
              yea shared-core # cat drm_pciids.txt | grep "961"
              0x1002 0x5961 CHIP_RV280 "ATI Radeon RV280 9200"
              0x1002 0x9610 CHIP_RS780|RADEON_NEW_MEMMAP|RADEON_IS_IGP "ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics"
              0x1002 0x9611 CHIP_RS780|RADEON_NEW_MEMMAP|RADEON_IS_IGP "ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics"
              0x1002 0x9612 CHIP_RS780|RADEON_NEW_MEMMAP|RADEON_IS_IGP "ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics"
              0x1002 0x9613 CHIP_RS780|RADEON_NEW_MEMMAP|RADEON_IS_IGP "ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics"
              So it is the missing PCI-ID which prevents the drm module from picking up my card?

My main motivation to run this development drivers is to get the XVIDEO-Extension working. If I don't need the drm module to achieve this, then it's ok for me.

But as long as xvinfo says
              Code:
              yea ~ # xvinfo 

X-Video Extension version 2.2
              screen #0
               no adaptors present
              i have to continue

Comment

Yep, sounds like the missing ID is a problem. You could probably confirm that by looking at the drm log messages with dmesg.

You can update the ID list on your local copy of the source and see if that helps; I'll also mention it to agd5f.
                Test signature

Comment

I've added the id to drm git.

Comment

OK, guess I won't bother mentioning it to agd5f then
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Thanks; I'll try to play with the KDE settings here.

Just for completeness I have to ask.. is disabling functionality check and choosing XRender an option ?
                      Nope, It is not BTW I played with that again but this time it could not enabled composite with "OpenGL" and "Disable test" options.
                      Last edited by rahman.duran; 03 February 2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X