Blood Frontier: The Latest Open-Source FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M1AU View Post
    But yes, you're right, there are already a lot of multiplayer games out there and very few singleplayer games.

Personally I think one of the best singleplayer scenarios would be some kind of RPG based FPS game such as Deus-Ex for the Windows platform.
    Unfortunately I don't see something like this coming in the near future.
    You'll see more OSS singleplayer games after id tech 4 is released under the GPL sometime after the next Wolfenstein game is released.

Comment

I'll give it a try latter today and see how it compares to Sauerbraten. I only hope that it is indeed more 64-bit friendly than Sauerbraten or Cube were (something tells me otherwise, and it'll be at least as friendly as its predecessors).

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
        You'll see more OSS singleplayer games after id tech 4 is released under the GPL sometime after the next Wolfenstein game is released.
        With one problem: it's going to be more or less q4 then. It's nice that ID releases those engines but this did not really help the lack of creativity as of up to now. Those OSS FPS games are not really breath taking. As somebody once said... why play a mediocre OSS game if I can buy the same in high quality? Creativity is what you can not buy so there OSS games should go to stand their ground.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Yay just what we need more FPS games...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
            With one problem: it's going to be more or less q4 then. It's nice that ID releases those engines but this did not really help the lack of creativity as of up to now. Those OSS FPS games are not really breath taking. As somebody once said... why play a mediocre OSS game if I can buy the same in high quality? Creativity is what you can not buy so there OSS games should go to stand their ground.
            It is not creativity that is missing but Artist type of developers. There is large number of high skill level programmers in OSS projects but getting enough high skill level artist developers limits content based games from progressing (you need a lot of art and sound/music effects to create a good single player game). Have you ever looked the credit list of commercial game? The list of programmers is usually short compared to all others names in credit list.

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
              It is not creativity that is missing but Artist type of developers. There is large number of high skill level programmers in OSS projects but getting enough high skill level artist developers limits content based games from progressing (you need a lot of art and sound/music effects to create a good single player game). Have you ever looked the credit list of commercial game? The list of programmers is usually short compared to all others names in credit list.
              Compared too, yeah. They are often still a dozen or more full time programmers.

Comment

Originally posted by suokko View Post
                That's not the problem. You can make a non-boring-FPS ( and this means also not being an FPS to begin with! ) with shoddy graphics too. You can still be creative with gameplay with the same graphics level.

Comment

It's often hard for programmers to create good art; and wolfenstein 3d-style low-res sprites would frighten people away no matter how creative the storyline and gameplay are..

Comment

The "creative crisis" in FLOSS games has more to do in my very humble opinion with the fact that artists are less aware of FLOSS projects and that they are less likely to give away (license under CC or open source) their work than programmers are. Not that they are against "giving away" their work, but rather that (given the school formation of many designers and graphics artists) they are less likely to come across Open Source programs, platforms and projects than programmers and IT oriented students. That is (in part at least) why, in my opinion, it is really hard to get professional or decent graphics artists involved in FLOSS game projects.

Comment

An engine like id tech 4 needs a lot of content (art, gfx, animations, 3d models, textures, etc) to make a game, whether its good or mediocre, imaginative or not. Theres just not enough modellers, texturers, animators, etc willing to create enough needed content for a FOSS game that uses something like a gpled id tech 4.

Comment

Working...
                      X