• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use package managers

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      I don't use package managers
      So, you use LFS, then?

Even Portage really counts as a package manager, so you can't be using Gentoo even if you don't use package managers...

Comment

Yup. Modified LFS as the base, has been for some years now. Nothing can beat the configurability, speed, and the miniscule space use.

Comment

I did LFS some time ago too. A must have experience for any Linux guru out there. Today I'm into GenToo though since I get the same ( all self compiled and chooseable ) without the high maintenance time and cost ( especially if you like me administer from home computers over road warrior laptops to business servers ). So I consider GenToo an automated LFS ( even if ALFS itself does exist ). One of my pals at university also wrote an auto-installer system for LFS. Don't know how far he got as our ways split when I switched university back then.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Yup. Modified LFS as the base, has been for some years now. Nothing can beat the configurability, speed, and the miniscule space use.
            Heh... Fair enough.

I'll bet removing stuff's a pain though...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Heh... Fair enough.

I'll bet removing stuff's a pain though...
              [offtopic] I played around with LFS for a while and dependences annoyed me the most... same goes for Slackware. [/offtopic]

Comment

That's why I don't install anything unnecessary / or something temporary goes into it's own self-contained dir in /opt. Additional thought brings better usage philosphy too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                  [offtopic] I played around with LFS for a while and dependences annoyed me the most... same goes for Slackware. [/offtopic]
                  Which is one of the reasons I use Gentoo over Slackware - which is odd because Slackware is still my all time favorite distro. I guess I just have an emotional attachment to the damn thing.

Comment

Wow we're offtopic here. Come back around!

Blood Frontier is, far and away, the best open source FPS I have played yet. I encourage people to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
                      Wow we're offtopic here. Come back around!

Blood Frontier is, far and away, the best open source FPS I have played yet. I encourage people to try it.
                      It's not new either... I played it early last year.

To the poster that said he got motion sickness from cube and sauerbraten, I can't say I've ever experienced this or known anyone else who to experience this, but I definitely had motion sickness when I tried Nexuiz.

Comment

Working...
                      X