ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650: crash on X startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
    On ubuntu 8.10 (32-bit, catalyst 9.3) and ubuntu 9.04 post-beta (64-bit, catalyst pre-9.4) running

aticonfig --acpi-services=off

after "aticonfig --initial" really fixes the X-server crash.

I have tested the catalyst driver a bit under ubuntu 8.10 and my first impression is, that the performance has significantly improved over the "stock driver" shipping with ubuntu 8.10.
    Yep.

Thanks a lot for the hint shiftear!
    No problem, after I found this fix I just couldn't keep it for myself, I remembered the endless hours of frustration I had and I needed to share the solution
    Last edited by shiftear; 29 March 2009, 06:51 AM.

Comment

shiftear: After running "aticonfig --acpi-services=off" I now have problems of using the HDMI output. I cannot configure the connected LCD TV in the Catalyst control center. This did work with the stock catalyst driver in ubuntu 8.10. However, I am not sure, if this could be related. Does it work for you (just in case you have already tried it out)?

Comment

shiftear: After running "aticonfig --acpi-services=off" I now have problems of using the HDMI output. I cannot configure the connected LCD TV in the Catalyst control center. This did work with the stock catalyst driver in ubuntu 8.10. However, I am not sure, if this could be related. Does it work for you (just in case you have already tried it out)?
        Sorry, I didn't test that yet (I have no HDMI cable, usually I use another laptop with a DVI->HDMI cable) and I don't think I will any time soon.

Anyway, that's a shame. Did you try it by hotplugging or plug-and-restart ?

Comment

Originally posted by shiftear View Post
          Anyway, that's a shame. Did you try it by hotplugging or plug-and-restart ?
          I tried hotplugging & restarting. I will still play around a bit and see if this might be related to some other setting. I will keep this forum posted.

Comment

I tried hotplugging & restarting. I will still play around a bit and see if this might be related to some other setting. I will keep this forum posted.
            I'll ask tomorrow around for a HDMI cable and if I'm lucky I'll try this also and post back.

Comment

Originally posted by shiftear View Post
              I have no idea, aticonfig --odgc reports that my card is not supported and cannot retrieve clocks and & other info.

Anyway, I get around 3 hours on battery out of my 8530p so it's not too bad.

Edit:
              I'm on 9.04 right now I and see compiz paired with fglrx still has issues -> slow window resize, about 1 sec delay when unminimizing a window, slow movie playback (frames dropped), crash when full screen a movie window (only totem tested).

On 8.10 with catayst 9.3 it works amazingly well.
              Thats because 9.3 is newer than the driver'in 9.04. The driver in 9.04 is just a modified 9.2, with 1.6 xserver support I think.

Comment

You won't get hdmi or vga to work with hd3650 in 9.04's fglrx alpha driver (At least I didn't). Because the driver have the same bug as in the fglrx 9.4 alpha version, were it is almost impossible to use either hdmi or vga. It is fixed in fglrx 9.3 though :-) So just wait for the fglrx 9.4 final in 9.04. I have gone back to 8.10, and I am now enjoying my card on fglrx 9.3 agin :-)
                Last edited by tball; 01 April 2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                  You won't get the hdmi thing work with hd3650 ind 9.04 (At least I didn't). Because the driver have the same bug, as in fglrx 9.4 alpha version, were it was impossible to get the hdmi / vga to work. It is fixed in fglrx 9.3 though :-) So just wait for the fglrx 9.4 final in 9.04.
                  Well, the problem is, that I use catalyst 9.3 on ubuntu 8.10!

Comment

Well, the problem is, that I use catalyst 9.3 on ubuntu 8.10!
                    Okay thats weird. 9.3 works fine here.

Comment

It seems that with catalyst 9.5 the problem is gone. Under openSUSE 11.1 (64bit) the X server starts up just fine without using "aticonfig --acpi-services=off". This also solves the problem with the HDMI output (hot-plug) recognition.

Comment

Working...
                      X