Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scaling of TV image causes boot to black screen (drivers 8.10 - 9.1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaling of TV image causes boot to black screen (drivers 8.10 - 9.1)

All previous driver releases starting at 8.10 cause my system to boot to a black screen if I change the scaling of the image on my TV in the Catalyst control center.

What I do is: change the default setting from the American standard to PAL-B (which is the standard for my tv/country). This works fine, but if I change that, the image isn't filling my tv screen completely anymore (quite large black borders in the top and bottom of my tv).

I correct the scaling on my TV using the Catalyst Control center. But after I restart my computer, it boots into a black screen. X crashed completely, I can't switch to a terminal, I can't restart X, I can't soft reset. The only option is hard reset, boot into a terminal and forcing an initial configuration with `aticonfig --initial -f'.

I have a quite old tv, connected via the composite connector. OS is Ubuntu 8.04.2 and the videocard is an HD3450 (since driver 9.1 used in hybrid crossfire with the integrated HD3200).

Does anybody have similar problems? Any ideas if there is another/better way to change the scale of the image on my TV? This is getting really frustrating since 8.9 is the last driver that worked fine, but since then no single driver let me change the scale of the image on my TV.

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
    Does anybody have similar problems? Any ideas if there is another/better way to change the scale of the image on my TV? This is getting really frustrating since 8.9 is the last driver that worked fine, but since then no single driver let me change the scale of the image on my TV.
    It was some time ago I set mine up so I haven't tested on recent drivers.

I used aticonfig see -help output for the details.

If you do it as root it adds the options to your xorg.conf. When you have it set up OK back it up so you don't loose it when you install new drivers.

Comment

I have the same problem on AGP HD 3850.

Comment

Originally posted by monomakh View Post
        I have the same problem on AGP HD 3850.
        Maybe I am doing something simple compared to you, but I just connected my TV via s-video running 9.1 and it still works OK.

This is just a clone of my CRT monitor running @ 1024x768 - If I run a higher res then I don't get the full screen displayed on the TV (I can still scale and shift it - I assume the chip that scales down to PAL res just doesn't do more than 1024x768, but others may know different, eg. I can't test with a DVI screen as I don't have one).

I have never used amdccle to set up the TV - aticonfig worked and still does.

Comment

My tv works as well when I have it connected. Problem are the black borders in the top and bottom of the screen (both about 1.5cm I'd say). Catalyst standard uses the underscan setting for the TV. Changing to overscan or scaling the image on the TV so that it fits nicely makes X crash on the next boot of the system (black screen on booting).

I think I already tried changing the settings using aticonfig instead of catalyst center and it gave the same problem.

My setup:
          - Ubuntu 8.04.2 (all newest updates, completely standard)
          - desktop effects disabled
          - two seperate X screens (a different image on the tv and on the monitor, not able to drag a window from one screen to another, but you can move the mouse from one to another)
          - Asus motherboard (M3A78-EM), Asus HD 3450 videocard, AMD X2 5200, 2Gb of memory.
          - monitor (lcd) running at 1280x960
          - tv running at 1024x768

Comment

Working...
          X